Daisy-chain 2 8pres - how many outputs?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Everland
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Daisy-chain 2 8pres - how many outputs?

Post by Everland »

I'm considering purchasing 2 x 8pres and daisy-chaining them together for 16 inputs but I'm wondering in this scenario if I would have access to the main outs on the 2nd 8pre to use those as an alternate headphone send?

i.e. use the main outs to monitors, the headphone outs on the first 8pre as control-room headphones, and the main outs on the 2nd 8pre to send to a headphone splitter amp.

Can anyone confirm if this is possible or not?

Thanks in advance!
mikehalloran

Re: Daisy-chain 2 8pres - how many outputs?

Post by mikehalloran »

Not enough information since you do not list your system nor the applications that you are running. This answer will be generic.

Yes, you can have what you want if you use CueMix. The only way to daisy-chain these is through the optical cables.

You can also run these parallel via usb and use AudioMidi Setup to create an aggregate device where the Mac sees multiple devices as one.

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... -performer

So yes, you can accomplish what you want. How you do it will depend on a few factors that we have no way of knowing. Aggregate Device is one of them.

I recommend reading the manual if this doesn't give you the answer you wanted. Fortunately, it's online.
http://www.motu.com/techsupport/manuals
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Everland

Post by Everland »

Thanks Mike.

It would be running with Logic Pro X on an iMac.

It seems neater to daisy chain them via optical, so this is the scenario I was wondering about.
magicd

Post by magicd »

The 8pre is a dual function device. It can be used as an audio/MIDI interface connected to the computer. It can be used as a stand-alone A/D converter.

You have two choices for this specific configuration:

Method 1

8Pre #1 connects to the computer via USB. 8Pre #2 connects to 8Pre #1 via two optical cables. Optical out from 8Pre #2 carries audio into 8Pre #1. Optical out from 8Pre #1 carries clock back to 8Pre #2. Use the Volume knob on 8Pre #2 to set the clock source to Optical In.

The computer (including Logic) sees a single interface with 16 channels of input, 2 channels of line output, stereo headphone output, and MIDI/O. No aggregate device is required. You get one CueMix window for direct I/O monitoring control.

Method 2:

A USB Hub is used (or two USB ports on the computer are used) to connect each 8Pre via separate USB cables. The computer sees two separate interfaces. Because Logic can only see one interface driver at a time, an Aggregate Device is required in order for Logic to see both interfaces. The interfaces do need to share a common sample clock. That connection can be made via optical cable or resync can be engaged via the Aggregate Device. My strong recommendation is to avoid software sync in the Aggregate Device and to use the optical cable for sync. One 8Pre is set to internal sync. The other is set to slave to the first.

Via the Aggregate Device, Logic sees 16 channels of analog input, 16 channels of ADAT input, 16 channels of ADAT output, four channels of Line output, two sets of stereo Phones output, and two sets of MIDI I/O.

Each 8Pre gets it's own CueMix window. Mixes can be cascaded between the 8Pres via optical connection.

If you want four channels of line out and two sets of Phones out, method #2 is the way to go.

Dave