CueMix Software (Main Out) to ADAT

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jbriggs
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

CueMix Software (Main Out) to ADAT

Post by jbriggs »

There are a couple threads that are almost like this question and the OP’s didn’t get the answers they were hoping for. Here goes anyway:

I have a Macbook Pro and 828x for live use. When I get to my studio I’d like to be able to get stuff out of that computer and into a Symphony I/O digitally and into another computer, of course. ADAT optical works great for the Analog inputs into the 828x (though I prefer the Symphony). I can’t get the ‘Main 1-2’ (not MainStage, not standalone synths) into ADAT though. Any suggestions? Thanks.
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: CueMix Software (Main Out) to ADAT

Post by 4stripes »

CueMix allows any bus to be sent to any output. So yes you can do this. Page 70 of the manual.

MAIN OUT would usually be for your monitors though. I'd use a different bus.

Or you can mirror the main out from another output, page 9: http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/thunde ... al_Mac.pdf
jbriggs

Post by jbriggs »

Yes, a bus can be sent to any output (p 70), but as far as I can tell the only place to assign something to a bus is under the Mixes tab. Main 1-2 (the software sounds) is unavailable here. Only the Analog ins are available.

I have Default Stereo Output on the MOTU Audio Setup set to ADAT 1-2 (p 9). Still no luck. What am I missing?
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by 4stripes »

In your DAW you can route to any output of the MOTU, not just main 1-2.
jbriggs

Post by jbriggs »

I haven’t been able to do that. I’ve set MOTU Audio Setup Main Out Assign to ADAT Optical 1-2 and Apple’s Audio Devices to ADAT Optical A. I still only get meter activity (in CueMix) on Main 1-2
magicd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by magicd »

I've read through the posts in this thread and I am confused as to exactly what you want to do. I'll make some suggestions, but If I'm not answering the specific question, please clarify and we'll keep at it.

MOTU Audio Setup.

Default Stereo Output allows you to assign which pair of outs on the interface will receive signal from the Mac Audio MIDI Setup utility. This is for iTunes playback etc. If you want the output of iTunes or Safari to go to ADAT A -1-2, make that selection in this menu. For playback assignment from your DAW, that is done from inside the DAW itself.

Man Out Assign allows you to mirror a pair of outputs to the Main Outs. If you set Main Out assign to Analog 1-2 (for example), that means signal sent to Analog 1-2 outputs will also appear at the Main Outs.

Based on the posts I read above, neither of these settings has anything to do with the job at hand. Leave Main Out Assign set to Main Outs.

CueMix

CueMix controls the direct input to output mix. In the Mixes tab there is an arrow that opens a menu to display the 8 available stereo mix busses. The only thing that happens when you switch between the 8 mixes in this menu is that the CueMix mixer changes to display the currently selected mix. You do not do any assignment of outputs in this menu. By default from the factory, mix bus #1 is assigned to the Main Outs. By default, the rest of the mix busses are left unassigned.

Choose any mix bus from the drop down menu. To change the output assignment of that mix bus, go to the mix bus master fader on the far right of the mixer display. Above that fader is a pop-up menu that allows you to select any output pair on the interface. If Mix Bus#1 is selected from the drop down menu in the Mixes tab, and if that mix bus is currently assigned to Main Outs, you will see "Main Outs" displayed above the bus master fader. If you choose a mix bus that is currently unassigned, you will correspondingly see no output assignment above the bus master fader.

So lets say you have a microphone plugged in to input #1 on the 828, and you want to directly send that signal to ADAT Bank A out 1-2. To do that, go to the bus master fader (in any mix bus you want), and select ADAT 1-2. Unmute the bus master fader. Unmute mic input #1. Now you have your patch through from the mic input to ADAT A 1-2 output.

Does that come anywhere close to answering your question?

Dave
jbriggs

Post by jbriggs »

Thank you magicd and 4stripes for your help and the great explanation of MOTU Audio Setup. magicd, my problem is not with the Analog inputs to CueMix. I can (and do) use the Mixes tab and send Inputs to ADAT Optical.

I use hosted (MainStage) and unhosted (just for convenience) instruments in the MBP. The only place I can see the signal these instruments generate is in the meter bank labeled Outputs at the bottom right corner of the CueMix window under the Meters tab. The band is labeled Main. This is the Output I would like to send to the ADAT Optical out.

As far as I can tell there is no way to access this stereo pair in the Mixes tab of CueMix. Only the Analog inputs of the 828x are present here.

Any help will be much appreciated.
magicd

Post by magicd »

jbriggs,

In order for the ADAT inputs to be available as inputs in CueMix, make sure they are first enabled in the pop-up menus in MOTU Audio Setup. If the optical inputs are enabled in MOTU Audio Setup, they will be available as inputs in the CueMix Mixes window. If you don't see the ADAT inputs, you may have to scroll the mixer window to the right to reveal those inputs.

Playback signals from the computer (such as VI outputs and MainStage outputs) will not show up as inputs in CueMix. CueMix is for mixing physical inputs to outputs on the interface. If you want to send the output of MainStage to ADAT A 1-2 for example, that's not done in CueMix. That assignment is done directly in Main Stage.

Dave
jbriggs

Post by jbriggs »

magicd wrote:jbriggs,

Playback signals from the computer (such as VI outputs and MainStage outputs) will not show up as inputs in CueMix. CueMix is for mixing physical inputs to outputs on the interface. If you want to send the output of MainStage to ADAT A 1-2 for example, that's not done in CueMix. That assignment is done directly in Main Stage.

Dave
Thanks again, Dave. This is what I was figuring out.
magicd

Post by magicd »

jbriggs wrote: Thanks again, Dave. This is what I was figuring out.
Ok, so we are on the same track!

If you do want computer playback signals to have faders in CueMix, create a digital loop using optical or S/PDIF connection. Send your VIs or playback signal to the digital outs on the interface. Because of the loop, those signals now show up as inputs in the CueMix, and therefore can be mixed like other direct input signals.

Dave
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

So, why would/should ADAT optical outs/ins be disabled in MOTU Audio Setup?

I found out the other day when helping a client use a new 828x with a new iMac and Pro Tools 11. There were a few interrupt errors from Pro Tools on playing back a fairly normal session…

Paging through the 828x manual that night, I found a recommendation that disabling the opticals, if you're not using them, can conserve resources. Did it, no more problems.

There must be other issues as well (the Mac shouldn't be working very hard even if all opticals are being used), but I'd never been aware of that point before.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12