New Motu 1248 questions

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
woodlakesound
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New Motu 1248 questions

Post by woodlakesound »

Using a 1248 here. Wonderful on all accounts. The ADC is as good as we were hoping for and the user interface, after a little getting acquainted stage, becomes as second nature as tying your shoes. Only wish DP could access the user edited channel names somehow with some sort of 'fetch' procedure. A talkback dimming feature would round things out. I'm loving this new box! It does not disappoint at all.
Cory
woodlakesound

Post by woodlakesound »

One disappointment it seems is that I cannot use an external reverb in the mixer. In Cuemix one could 'target' a specific channel and feed into that like an Aux send and return the output back into the Cuemix. I don't see how that's possible here. Am I missing something about setting up for that? Thanks anyone.
Cory
magicd

Post by magicd »

Cory,

Absolutely you can patch in external processing gear! Assuming that your external processor uses analog I/O, use the Analog Outs and Analog Ins for sends and returns.

In the Routing grid, display the Mix Aux section on the top row of inputs. Display the Analog Outs on the left side. Make a connection between the Mix Aux 1 (or 1 and 2 if it's a stereo input processor) and the analog outs in the Routing grid.

Aux sends can be configured and displayed as mono or stereo in the AVB Mixer.

Assuming that you are using the AVB Mixer as your live monitor mixer, make the connections from the Analog Ins on the top row to a pair of Mix Ins on the left side of the Routing window.

In the AVB Mixer, you now use the aux send to send to your external processor. You use the appropriate AVB Mixer inputs for returns from the external effect. Obviously you don't want to turn up the aux sends on the effects returns because that would cause a feedback loop.

Work ok?
Dave
woodlakesound

Post by woodlakesound »

Got It. I see the Aux sends, makes sense now.
thanks Dave!
Cory