Yosemite... or not

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jliechty
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Yosemite... or not

Post by jliechty »

For what it's worth, my MOTU Traveler is invisible to the test system on which I installed the public beta release of Yosemite that came out today. The latest MOTU drivers from March will install, but don't appear to function. I wanted to throw that out there, in case it saves anyone else from wasting time...
MacBook Pro Retina (2012), Mac Pro (2010) with MOTU Traveler
Mac OS 10.9.4, DP 7.24
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Yosemite... or not

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

This seems like too big a transition for me to consider doing a public beta for. Too much too posse. Nah, I'll pass. But if anyone does it and has Quickeys or CS 5 or earlier, I'd love to know if they still work...

Thanks for the heads up jliechty. :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jliechty

Post by jliechty »

It's funny you should ask! I happen to have CS5 on said test system, and just now fired up Illustrator and Photoshop, opened a couple of files, and clicked around for a minute. No crashes so far. :)
Mac OS 10.9.4, DP 7.24
MIDI Life Crisis

Whew! Good to know. I am not interested in "renting" Adobe products. Quickeys... I suppose it's time is limited unless they get their act together. I suspect their just short of cash. There are programmers around who could do the work. I would imagine a glut of them looking for work. Maybe I'm wrong. And there are alternatives, but I prefer to sleep with the devil I know.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I received an email today about the beta. I sure wish I could try it out, but the only machine I could contemplate taking the risk on is too old for Yosemite. :( I just am too scared to try on my studio machine and I'd have gone for it on my MacBook 7,1 until recently, because I'm now using it for backing tracks live and it to work with my MOTU Micro Express.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Sax On the Beach

Post by Sax On the Beach »

Universal Audio Drivers do not work with the latest version Mac OS X Yosemite beta Developer Preview.
My MOTU 828 is no longer recognized after upgrading from Yosemite Developer Preview 3 to Yosemite Developer 4 today. It worked fine with Preview 3 earlier today.

I tried downloading and re-installing the MOTU drivers with no luck. My Quad-core Mac Pro does not see the MOTU 828 according to System Information.

After booting from another disk running Mavericks, it works just fine ... that's why they call it bleeding edge.
MIDI Life Crisis

I can't afford that kind of downtime. I may not even go for the update when it's official this time until a good shakeout. Things are working just fine as they are...

:smash:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jliechty

Post by jliechty »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I can't afford that kind of downtime. I may not even go for the update when it's official this time until a good shakeout. Things are working just fine as they are...

:smash:
That's why one never upgrades one's main system to a new OS immediately, never mind a beta release. In fact, I was bitten upgrading my Mac Pro (2010) to Mavericks last month. I was hanging onto Mountain Lion because of ZEVO, and finally decided to try OpenZFS for OSX on ML, which worked, so I decided to plunge on to Mavericks, because OpenZFS is forward compatible. I'd been using Mavericks on my MacBook Pro Retina since forever, so what could go wrong, right? How about choppy fullscreen video (only in Youtube, but still...) and an audio glitch once every 15 minutes or so. I should've stayed in the past! :banghead:
Mac OS 10.9.4, DP 7.24
MIDI Life Crisis

I was pretty fearless with Mavericks but no projects in progress. I'm probably looking at January at the earliest unless the reports are stellar. Probably see the real Yosemite before that. Lol.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It's nice that people here are trying this out, but I'm surprised that anyone who uses DP or other motu products enough that they spend the time to follow this forum would install .0 OS, let alone a beta OS. As ars technical says, assume you are erasing your hard drive when you install this beta.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
N-U-M-A-N

Post by N-U-M-A-N »

Yes, the latest public beta of Yosemite (Beta 1) don´t work with the current universal audio drivers by Motu. My Traveller does not recognised by Yosemite beta 1. It´s curious than more than 500 AU plugins works well, but not the motu drivers.
KILL BILL G
========
www.killbillg.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

How about choppy fullscreen video (only in Youtube, but still...) and an audio glitch once every 15 minutes or so. I should've stayed in the past!
It does appear that you have a problem or a conflict somewhere. Although blaming Mavericks is convenient, it's probably not the problem.

I do agree that anyone who uses their machines as part of their livelihood should avoid all public or other betaware unless given to you by a company for the purpose of solving a specific problem.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jliechty

Post by jliechty »

mikehalloran wrote:
How about choppy fullscreen video (only in Youtube, but still...) and an audio glitch once every 15 minutes or so. I should've stayed in the past!
It does appear that you have a problem or a conflict somewhere. Although blaming Mavericks is convenient, it's probably not the problem.
Let's see now... Video drivers are integrated into the OS and controlled by Apple. Audio drivers come from MOTU, and I was using the latest universal drivers with quite pedestrian settings (it even glitched in iTunes and other audio players, which is the least demanding environment possible). If you're Apple, and you integrate and control everything, expect to get blamed when something goes wrong. (As an aside, the exact same combination of versions of Chrome / Firefox / Flash played videos smoothly on Mountain Lion and Yosemite. Mavericks is the only outstanding variable. Yes, it's convenient, and it happens to be the most likely answer. Too bad I didn't have more time to troubleshoot.)
Mac OS 10.9.4, DP 7.24
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Apple may control all or most of the things on a Mac but that doesn't mean that it can be expected that every piece of every app will work flawlessly with every other part of every other app. The test scripts required to run all possible combinations would take longer to run than there is time left on this planet. The marketing guys probably didn't want to wait that long before the release.

I was once in that difficult position. Engineering said a complete test would take 4,500,000,000,000,000 years. So we closed our eyes and did the release and dealt with it in the field. I suspect it happens to everyone who develops software.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

jliechty wrote:How about choppy fullscreen video (only in Youtube, but still...) and an audio glitch once every 15 minutes or so. I should've stayed in the past! :banghead:
Sometimes this is an issue with Adobe Flash Player. YouTube uses Flash video at least some of the time. I ran into this issue right now with Mavericks and the latest Adobe Flash where YouTube videos would not play smoothly but "stick" for a frame every 5 seconds or so. I had to download an older legacy installer to get rid of the problem. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!