Ultralite MK3 Hybrid - power connector broken

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
sidney
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ultralite MK3 Hybrid - power connector broken

Post by sidney »

My Ultralite started having intermittent power issues. So I took it apart, looked inside and I noticed the power connector is split in half. Also I noticed some cracks on the adjacent MIDI connector.

Would be nice to have a replacement power board, as it doesn't look too good.

It should be like $2 worth of parts, and no more than $5-$10 bucks for the whole board.

MOTU Tech Support charges a flat fee of $99+shipping to have it fixed. Of course they are.

Obviously I'm looking to find a more convenient way. Any ideas?
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Ultralite MK3 Hybrid - power connector broken

Post by 4stripes »

Find the components yourself on DigiKey and replace them yourself. $99 probably looks reasonable now eh? ;)
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Ultralite MK3 Hybrid - power connector broken

Post by HCMarkus »

sidney wrote:My Ultralite started having intermittent power issues. So I took it apart, looked inside and I noticed the power connector is split in half. Also I noticed some cracks on the adjacent MIDI connector.
How handy are you with the soldering iron? You could hard-wire the power supply in without much trouble. Or, as suggested, go the Digi-Key route and find and replace the stressed parts.

I've repaired many pieces of gear over the years. Visual inspection, as you have conducted, will often revea the source of problems. Spend a few hours, learn a few things, and (probably) save a lot of dough.