Ultralite mk3 simple 2.1 subwoofer setup NOOB HALP!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jakedeniro
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ultralite mk3 simple 2.1 subwoofer setup NOOB HALP!

Post by jakedeniro »

Hi, I've read a few posts on this forum about setting up a subwoofer using (A) split RCA jacks out of the Main Outs (likely signal degradation) (B) cutting and pasting Bus 1 over to Bus 2 and selecting different outputs on Bus 2 (like Analog 3/4) to feed the subwoofer (C) using a loopback cable from the S/PDIF in/out on the back of the unit and fiddling with the mixes, being careful (!!!) not to generate a feedback loop. I have tried all three of these with no joy!

I think I am missing something fundamental about the way audio is being routed through my Mac, especially with the way OS X has its own audio drivers / interface for setting up stereo, 5.1, 7.1 and octophonic (yikes!) speaker arrangements. All I need to do is feed a signal to my sub (Klipsch SW 350 which has RCA ins, crossover adjust, etc.) and preferably using CueMix so I can adjust the EQ, signal strength and so on to both my monitors and the sub.

I'm using a pair of big Mackies with balanced TRS cables from the Main Outs for my home system, which involves mostly iTunes and Ableton solo jams, so I am loathe to stick any RCA splitters and introduce nasty hiss everywhere. I should add that I have used a 16-channel Soundflower arrangement for routing audio in the past but... I don't want to go there and add an extra layer of complexity to my woes...

Any advice on the most sensible solution to this admittedly noobish problem? Like I said, my only audio input is coming from iTunes or Ableton, and I want to keep this as a permanent 2.1 setup in my home.

Thanks people!
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Ultralite mk3 simple 2.1 subwoofer setup NOOB HALP!

Post by 4stripes »

Easy. Make a Quad monitor group. You'll have to sacrifice one output because CueMix doesn't do mono.

Page 90 http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firewi ... id_Mac.pdf
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

4stripes wrote:Easy. Make a Quad monitor group. You'll have to sacrifice one output because CueMix doesn't do mono.

Page 90 http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firewi ... id_Mac.pdf
Since the sub can handle stereo in, even that is not a problem.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jakedeniro

Post by jakedeniro »

Perfect! Thanks people. I was using a kludge with a 1/8" headphone jack adapter to RCA outs and the Phones Out from the front of the unit. Inelegant solution to say the least.