Ultralite mk3 Hissing. Is this normal?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
tomujio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ultralite mk3 Hissing. Is this normal?

Post by tomujio »

About a month ago i got a ultralite mk3 hybrid, and i've encountered a number of problems with connectivity, heat and sync issues, most of which have been resolved by getting a new firewire cable. One thing i'm left with though is a rather audible hissing on the main outputs coming through on my monitors. This occurs whenever the device is on, whether its connected to a computer or not, and it doesn't make a difference how loud my monitor output level is set. I've made sure all internal mix routing has been turned off, and all DSP off. I can also just about hear a quiet hum coming through to my monitors at the same time, although that's pushing my ears to the max.

It means whenever i listen to music at a relatively quiet volume i can also hear the hiss.

Does the hissing i describe sound normal to people with the ultralite or similar MOTU interfaces?
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Ultralite mk3 Hissing. Is this normal?

Post by 4stripes »

What is the brand and model of your monitors? Chances are their input level is set too sensitive. Most powered speakers ship set too high, producing full level at +2 dBu. The Ultralite has +20 dBu outs. Turn your speakers down and it will go away, and your gain staging will be correct.
tomujio

Post by tomujio »

I have M-audio BX5a's (need to upgrade soon). I realised the input gain on these has crept up a bit (i mess with them quite a bit since they're very unmatched at the moment) and now reduced it to where it was and that's helped with the hiss, thanks. Still somehow seems louder than it was though..

At the moment i'm using the monitor level on the ultralite as my volume control, and since the hiss is the same across the full volume range then i should really get a passive volume controller to obtain the best S/N ratio. Is this generally what the majority of people do with their motu interfaces?

This raises my other question. If the hiss is the same across the full volume output range, what is actually causing the hiss? I was assuming it was the D/A converter causing the hiss, and i assumed the monitor level was a potentiometer post D/A conversion, so surely at the point when this is fully attenuating the signal, why would there still be any hiss? Hoping this doesn't mean the monitor level is changing the digital level pre converter, and hence reducing the bit resolution.. Unless something else is causing the hiss?
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by 4stripes »

All you need to do is select a different pair of outputs as the monitor in CueMix to test your hiss theory. I still think your speakers are probably too loud.

Here's the poor man's way to set up better monitor gain:
Turn the speaker volume all the way down.
Turn the MOTU main monitor output to -10 dB gain (very high).
Play a CD or a mix through the MOTU.
Turn your speaker volume knob on the back up till it is too loud. That's where you leave the speaker volume knob and never touch it further.

You also need to be using balanced cables with your monitors, that's 6 dB of noise right there.
Last edited by 4stripes on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

4stripes wrote:All you need to do is select a different pair of outputs as the monitor in CueMix to test your hiss theory. I still think your speakers are probably too loud.

Here's the poor man's way to set up better monitor gain:
Turn the speaker volume all the way down.
Turn the MOTU main monitor output to -10 dB gain.
Play a CD or a mix through the MOTU.
Turn your speaker volume up till it is just barely too loud. That's where you leave the speakers volume.

You also need to be using balanced cables with your monitors.
+1