MicroLite USB Bandwidth Help?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
xdadex
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MicroLite USB Bandwidth Help?

Post by xdadex »

Hi,
I'm using a MOTU Micro Lite USB-MIDI Interface with a 2013 MacMini and AbletonLive.
I have it running into a powered USB Hub, then into the back of the Mac.
(I learned a long time ago that using an unpowered hub was causing all kinds of issues)
I've noticed that sometimes when plugged in, or when I open up an Ableton project, the MIDI doesn't respond and I have to unplug it and plug it back in (sometimes a few times) to get it to respond.
This seems to happen more often when I have any other USB device plugged in (ie, a 32GB flash drive)
So I guess I'm wondering how much bandwidth (for lack of a better word) I can get via a USB port VS how much is required by the MOTU Micro Lite to function properly... and if there is any way to ensure its getting the power that is required (for performances, etc). maybe getting a splitter cable of sorts and splitting it into 2 USB ports?
It looks like maybe I can see in my 'system information'/ USB Device tree, whats plugged in and how many mA's it's using vs the allocated 500mA per port. maybe?
xdadex

Re: MicroLite USB Bandwidth Help?

Post by xdadex »

I should also mention, I've noticed using more than 2 ports causes MIDI issues as well. Random notes here and there, sync issues, weird stuff.
So I'm having to cram all the drums, synths, guitar pedal MIDI info, etc. into 2 Ports with many different channels.
mikehalloran

Re: MicroLite USB Bandwidth Help?

Post by mikehalloran »

Bandwidth is how much data can stream. Your problem is power consumption. See if the problems go away with external power.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro