Core MIDI and MTP Express XT problem

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Core MIDI and MTP Express XT problem

Post by Killahurts »

I have a MIDI Timepiece Express XT, probably 12 or 13 years old. I hooked it up to a 17 inch MBP for use in a live situation. What happens is, Core MIDI sees it in the Audio/MIDI setup app, and then I hook up the virtual devices I've set up to it (in this case, 3 keyboard controllers in on 3 different cables). Everything works, until I unhook the MTP, power down or restart the computer. Then, when I power up or restart again, Audio/MIDI Setup shows the setup MTP Express as greyed out, and now there is a "MTP Express 2", which the computer apparently scanned and got that as an answer.

The only way to fix it is to select and delete the original MTP, which also deletes the connections to the devices, and then re-connect the devices to MTP Express 2. If I leave the original, greyed out MTP there and just redo the connections to MTP Express 2, next time they will both be greyed out, and there will be a "MTP Express 3", and so forth.

I'm wondering if it's possible that there is a battery in there that is dead? I also have a MTP AV, and a MTP micro express.. all of these are over a decade old, hence my idea about the battery.

The MBP is on Mavericks, and with the latest MOTU MIDI drivers. Thanks!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
mikehalloran

Re: Core MIDI and MTP Express XT problem

Post by mikehalloran »

It's a C2032 battery like the others. I wouldn't try diagnosing the problem without replacing it first. You have another in your Mac Pro keeping track of its settings - how old is that one? Is the Mac forgetting the XT or the other way around?

If you don't know, replace them both. Same C2032 battery.

According to the maker of my diabetes meter, Duracell lasts the longest. Energizer seems to last just as long in my Toyota key, probably the most power hungry use I have for C2032 batteries.

Some of the cheap generics do not last as long.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

mikehalloran wrote:It's a C2032 battery like the others. I wouldn't try diagnosing the problem without replacing it first. You have another in your Mac Pro keeping track of its settings - how old is that one? Is the Mac forgetting the XT or the other way around?
Seems to be the MTP forgetting, because the Mac pro still shows the MTP in the setup, but the unit itself appears to "publish" itself afresh every time.

I'll try the battery and get back.. thanks for the response Mike!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Yep, it was the battery, problem solved! :D