HELP! Ableton and MOTU 896 mk3 Hybrid analog outputs

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
bhender3
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

HELP! Ableton and MOTU 896 mk3 Hybrid analog outputs

Post by bhender3 »

Our church has recently began running backing tracks through ableton and using a moth 896mk3 hybrid interface. I can set ableton up to send a stereo signal with click on the left and tracks on the right to the interface and use the main outs (left and right) to send 2 signals to 2 channels on our sound board.Im having an issue sending individual stems from ableton through our motu 896mk3 hybrid out to our mixer through the 8 analog channels individually.

I am wanting to assign individual stems to each of the 8 analog outputs (in mono) and out to our mixer to 8 individual channels. I have gone into ableton and assigned the click and cue tracks to channel 1, guitars to channel 2, pianos and synths to channel 3, etc. 1 or 2 of the tracks will play but they are being sent to the wrong channels assigned on our sound board. the other tracks won't play at all. Any assistance would be appreciated. If you need more info about the setup please ask me.
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: HELP! Ableton and MOTU 896 mk3 Hybrid analog outputs

Post by 4stripes »

Sounds like your mixer isn't plugged in how you think it is.

Also, don't use the word 'stems' to refer to mono tracks. Stems are 99% of the time thought of as stereo channels.

You might need to go in and reset CueMix to factory defaults if someone has been fooling around in there. Otherwise it is as simple as routing your DAW channels to the 8 outputs and plugging 8 outputs into your mixer. You will see the 8 meters bumping along on the MOTU if you are successful with the first part.
Last edited by 4stripes on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: HELP! Ableton and MOTU 896 mk3 Hybrid analog outputs

Post by mikehalloran »

Agreed. This should be quite simple. If necessary, refer to the manual - it can also be found online at MOTU.com.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro