8pre distortion in one channel when operating DAW

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
AngusSL
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

8pre distortion in one channel when operating DAW

Post by AngusSL »

Hello,

I'm a new poster but have found threads on here very handy in the past, so thanks all for your tips and advice.

Bit of a head scratcher here - if anybody can help I'd be hugely grateful. I've been using a MOTU 8pre for years with relatively few probs. Got an Ultralite MkIII Hybrid last week, set it up, installed new drivers etc. and it was working fine. I then found there was a problem with the Firewire port so sent it back for repair, which I'm told may take a while.

In the meantime I'm back to my 8pre, but suddenly it's playing up. It's fine until I open up a DAW (happens with both Logic 8 or Ableton 9), at which point the left output channel starts to sound all scratchy and distorted. It almost sounds like some kind of bitrate problem - sounds like there's a bitcrusher on the channel, if you know what I mean - but I've checked bitrate settings and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary (though perhaps I'm missing something?). The right channel is unaffected, and when I shut off any DAWs that are running it goes back to normal.

I'm running a Macbook Pro with OS 10.6.8.

As I say, any help would be very gratefully received.

Angus
mikehalloran

Re: 8pre distortion in one channel when operating DAW

Post by mikehalloran »

The Search function on these boards is quite useful. There was another thread just yesterday complaining about the same issue which linked to another thread containing the solution.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... se#p485563
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
AngusSL

Re: 8pre distortion in one channel when operating DAW

Post by AngusSL »

assumed that was a mavericks-specific thread from the title :)

that's fixed it though, thanks.