Using MOTU 896HD for FaceTime between OSX and iOS. EDIT

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Steve Steele
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Using MOTU 896HD for FaceTime between OSX and iOS. EDIT

Post by Steve Steele »

[EDIT - I've re-stated the question]

For the audio part of FaceTime calls, is it possible to use a mic connected to an 896HD (FW connection) to make and receive FaceTime calls from an OSX device to an iOS device?

My 2008 MacPro only has the mic input (no built in mic on my monitor). So when making FaceTime calls from my MacPro I can not use the mic connected to my 896HD to speak. But I can hear the caller using the 896 as the output source in the Sound Sys Prefs.

Is this an 896 thing (maybe because it's FireWire instead of USB), or something else due to FaceTime?

I can use the 896HD with SoundFlower to make YouTube videos with ScreenFlow. So it seems like I should be able to route audio anywhere.

If not, I suppose I need to buy a USB mic. Or maybe a second MOTU interface.

Thanks guys!
Steve Steele
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Using MOTU 896HD for FaceTime between OSX and iOS. EDIT

Post by Steve Steele »

I fixed it. The routing is a bit tricky, or at least for me it was because my Main Outs 1-2 on the 896 don't work (need to get those fixed soon), and hearing myself in headphones and the caller required certain settings (and those changed on a second call).

Anyway, I had my mic plugged into the channel 2 of the 896. When I switched to channel 1 everything worked. CueMix didn't seem to change that, but it did affect the output to my headphones.

Pretty cool using FaceTime or iMessage on OSX with a good pair of headphones. Sounds great, and with a good mic I was told I sounded like a radio DJ.

If anyone wants the settings I used, just let me know.