828 mk3 Firewire Hardware hangs loading Cuemix FX

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
daswans
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828 mk3 Firewire Hardware hangs loading Cuemix FX

Post by daswans »

Hello, I have been using my 828mk3 Firewire for about year now without any problems and now for no apparent reason it will not load up completely. When I turn on the unit, it loads the audio router, then when it starts to load the CueMixFX it jus hangs there indefinitely. My mac doesn't see the interface, yet it does see another firewire device that is plugged into the second port on the 828.

I have tried unplugging the firewire cables and still just hangs there trying to load CueMix. I was able to update the firmware though, thinking that would maybe fix a potential setting freezing the startup, but the problem persists. Strange that the computer was able to detect the firewire connection to update the firmware, but will not detect it in Audio/MIDI setup. Went ahead and uninstalled/ reinstalled drivers and motu software, reset the PRAM, deleted old .pref files, no luck. The only thing I can remember changing on my system since I last was able to use the hardware as just a small os x update, but I can't imagine that affecting anything audio related, and if it had the reinstallation of software and drivers should have fixed that.
Anyone have any ideas?
mikehalloran

Re: 828 mk3 Firewire Hardware hangs loading Cuemix FX

Post by mikehalloran »

My mac doesn't see the interface
There's your problem.

Does MOTU Audio Setup.app (Applications Folder) load when you turn your unit on? If not fire it up and see. Your 828 should show up there and in Apple's Audio MIDI Setup.app (Utilities folder).

I think. Since I have no idea your other hardware, DAW or OS, I am guessing blind [this is why many of us include it in our signatures]. If it is OS 10.8 or 10.9, it should.

Have you downloaded and installed the latest Universal Audio drivers from MOTU?

Sometimes re-setting the PRAM / NVRAM will restore full functionality to a FireWire Port. Also try plugging your 828mkIII into the port by itself with a different cable. A bad cable may pass through some functionality.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

When this happened, my 896mk3h had a fried fw port...
You can try the other one

best Klaus
daswans

Post by daswans »

Thank you very much for the responses guys.

Just to clarify I am on os x 10.9.3

Steps done so far-
-Reset PRAM
-Reinstalled most recent audio and mid software and drivers
-Switched cable to other firewire port on 828- mac does recognize other daisy chained audio device (Digi003) and works when connected on either port
-disconnected other daisy chained audio device, tried both ports
-disconnected all firewire cables, restarted 828, still hangs loading Cuemix FX
-Reinstalled 828 firmware (which in fact shows the mac is able to communicate with 828 via firewire when 828 hardware restarted in Bootloader1.01)
-828 not seen in Mac audio/MIDI setup
-828 not seen in MOTU Audio Setup

I'm guessing the reason my Mac isn't seeing the 828 is because the hardware itself does not load completely, not any issue with the computer side of it.

The thing is, i have used this device standalone without any firewire connectivity as 8 additional adat inputs to my digi 003, so i feel like this has to be an issue with the 828 hardware itself as it can function completely independent of a firewire connection. Maybe an internal Cuemix Fx preset was corrupted somehow and is not allowing the unit to load its internal software completely.

I have a Digi 003 daisy chained to the second firewire port and my Mac sees it and works just fine. The Digi connects to the one of the 828's firewire ports and the other connects to the computer. Digi003 still works on either port, so I know there is nothing wrong on the mac side of things. The hardware just sits there forever trying to load Cuemix FX. So weird, just literally overnight started having this problem without any changes to my system.

I feel like maybe if i can somehow reset the factory settings i may be able to resolve the issue, but I can't find a way of initialing that without it being in a normal, fully operational state. Like i said, I was able to reinstall the firmware via firewire by holding down the Page button, restarting in Bootloader mode and initializing the software updater.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I feel like maybe if i can somehow reset the factory settings i may be able to resolve the issue, but I can't find a way of initialing that without it being in a normal, fully operational state.
"Well, bust my buttons! Why didn't you say that in the first place?"

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technotes/reset

These procedures (and more detailed information about your MOTU Hardware) can be found in your unit's manual. To reference a .pdf copy of your manual, visit our Product Manuals page.
http://www.motu.com/techsupport/manuals
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
daswans

Post by daswans »

Thanks for taking the time to post those links, and I have gone through them prior to posting, but as I said in the previous post I have attempted to do the factory reset but I am unable to engage the reset procedure because the 828 cannot complete the startup cycle- I turn it on, it shows the firmware version, loads audio routing, gets to the 'Loading CueMix Fx' screen and stays stuck
there indefinitely. None of the buttons are functional in this process or while it is on the Loading CueMix screen. I am able to get into Bootloader 1.01 to update the firmware as the Page button is engaged on powering up the unit, but that is about all I can do with this thing atm.
daswans

Post by daswans »

Well, just got off the phone with MOTU tech support and they determined it was the ROM chip inside of the 828 that is malfunctioning. After a firmware update this problem should have been resolved. So gotta pack it up and pay $90 for a refurbished replacement unit i'll get back in 2 weeks. I will say my MOTU tech support experience was very pleasant and painless. I was totally surprised that the phone number on their site was a direct line to a tech which answered after like 2 rings and we had the issue resolved in about 3 minutes. I brewed up a pot of coffee with the expectation i'd be on the phone all morning... Being that I did buy this unit used for pretty cheap I'm not at all worried about another $90 to get a MOTU tested unit back. I use the 828 for live performance i'm very thankful it didn't happen just before a show....
:koolaid:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I didn't gather that it was the startup procedure that was hanging on your machine.

My version is reset by starting with power off and all cables disconnected.

Well, it appears that you will have the FW version of the latest and greatest 828. No USB but it will work through the TB-FW adapter. Inconvenient as hell, yes, but $90 is less than some shops charge for the basic diagnostic (and then they would have to order parts...).

I'm starting to knock on wood where mine is concerned. It was discontinued over seven years ago to make way for yours. I think yours was retired in favor of the Hybrid 3 1/2 years ago.

I'm not certain if the Hybrid is being discontinued in favor of the X but I think it might be - it would make sense, all things considered.
daswans

Post by daswans »

Thanks for the help regardless. It sounds like as long as your device is registered with MOTU if it should fail after the standard warranty period you can ship it back for the flat fee and get a refurbished unit sent in its place. I think it's a pretty good policy, I actually thought I'd be s.o.l as I bought the unit used, but the previous owner never registered it, so that was a very painless process. I should be up and running agin in two weeks. Sounds like the tech had seen this issue with only a couple units, so I feel like the likelyhood of this happening again is pretty slim.
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

My experience is that turn around time has been way shorter than quoted when getting the RMA. On my last return they shipped one back the day after they received mine. YMMV
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
5t3f4n

Post by 5t3f4n »

i have the exact same issue - hangs in loading Cuemix FX status and is not responding to ANY action.

what can i do to get rid of it? is there any hidden reset option?

thanks!
5t3f4n

Post by 5t3f4n »

5t3f4n wrote:i have the exact same issue - hangs in loading Cuemix FX status and is not responding to ANY action.

thanks!
anyone please? do i need to buy i new interface as this is the only solution? mine is 5 years old atm ...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

5t3f4n wrote:
5t3f4n wrote:i have the exact same issue - hangs in loading Cuemix FX status and is not responding to ANY action.

thanks!
anyone please? do i need to buy i new interface as this is the only solution? mine is 5 years old atm ...
Have you tried a factory reset?

If you have and the machine fails to respond, it is best to contact MOTU support directly either by logging a support case (Tech Link) at motu.com or by calling them.

If you have the exact same unit as the OP, it was discontinued over 7 years ago. If you have the Hybrid, or X, these are still in production.
5t3f4n

Post by 5t3f4n »

mikehalloran wrote:
Have you tried a factory reset?

If you have and the machine fails to respond, it is best to contact MOTU support directly either by logging a support case (Tech Link) at motu.com or by calling them.

If you have the exact same unit as the OP, it was discontinued over 7 years ago. If you have the Hybrid, or X, these are still in production.
thanks! it has to be a support case then ... :(