Multiple Macs, Multiple MTP-AVs

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Releaux
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Multiple Macs, Multiple MTP-AVs

Post by Releaux »

Ok, I've been on a hardware binge for the last few years and my MIDI rig has gotten pretty large. As in 4 MTP-AVs large (2 USB, 2 networked).

There are two or three things that never made it over to OS X that have led me to want to reintroduce my old TupperMac and OS9 into the equation. One of them (th0nk!) is an audio-only thing, so no problem.

But some other things, including an old special version of Soundiver for mucking about inside a Fizmo, will require that I somehow get this second computer into the MIDI ecosystem. I could just put a simple MIDI interface on the G4 and swap cables manually when I wanted to edit, but I'd really like it to be a more permanent hookup.

Does anyone have ideas on which way to go with this? The only thing I can think of is to put a simple MIDI interface on the G4, then run a MIDI cable into one of the MTPs, but at that point my brain shuts down in an effort to protect itself from a feedback loop. :surrender:

I did a couple of searches trying to find a starting point, but am not really sure what to even search for. MTP routing tables?
--
DP 11.3. |. MOTU 24Ai x2, Behringer ADA8200 x3, MOTU MTP-AV USB x2, MOTU MTP-AV x2.
Too much software, too much hardware, not enough time.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20/48 Core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 13.6.4 Ventura)
Mac Pro 5,1 (3.46GHz 12-core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave)
mikehalloran

Re: Multiple Macs, Multiple MTP-AVs

Post by mikehalloran »

Ooooh... not enough information on what you are trying to do. I will cover a few basics on the MTP-AV.

If you don't have fresh batteries in those MTPs, now's the time. C2032 "coin" batteries are inexpensive and exist to save your settings. You shouldn't have to re-configure manually as the MTP will save your settings and multiple setups.

The MTP-AV USB requires firmware 2.0.1 to work with an Intel Mac. This is hard coded on a chip that MOTU no longer carries. PPCs will work fine with MTPs having the older firmware chip.

You can use a serial cable to connect a non-usb version to the usb. This is covered in the manual.
http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/MIDI/M ... de_Mac.pdf

Older drivers, FreeMidi, Clockworks etc>
http://www.motu.com/download/download_m ... duct_id=16
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Releaux

Post by Releaux »

Thanks for the response, Mike. Let me clarify:

I understand how to use Clockworks and program basic patch routings. I don't have a lot of need for advanced programming typically, as I'm normally running everything through the computer, but I've set up a "computerless" arrangement separating different channels from my master keyboard to different pieces of gear, etc. I wouldn't say I'm great at programming it, but I'm not a newb.

I've also been using the 4 MTPs in my rig for several years now (and changed the batteries in three of them. I think the fourth one has a Mr. Fusion in it.). The two USB units are connected to my main Macintosh, and the older non-USB units chained off of those via serial cables. As far as my mac is concerned, I have two 16-port MIDI interfaces.

What I want to do now is introduce a second Macintosh to the system and have it able to interact with various pieces of hardware, but without physically repatching anything. If it was just a slave unit (for example to host a VI or something), I'd be able to do that without much trouble.

But instead, I'd like to run some older editing software that's OS9 only. The primary target for this is my Ensoniq Fizmo, but there are some others that I'll go ahead and mess with if I can get it all working.

My instinct is to put a basic MIDI interface (like a MOTU FastLane or Micro Lite) on the second Mac and assign it to an In/Out port pair on one of the MTP-AVs, but I'm not sure if this will actually work. It should since that would be no different than any other MIDI controller in the system, but I'm not positive about that and thought I'd ask here before I went to the trouble of picking up another MIDI interface.

In case it matters, the software I'll be running is a special version of SoundDiver.
--
DP 11.3. |. MOTU 24Ai x2, Behringer ADA8200 x3, MOTU MTP-AV USB x2, MOTU MTP-AV x2.
Too much software, too much hardware, not enough time.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20/48 Core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 13.6.4 Ventura)
Mac Pro 5,1 (3.46GHz 12-core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave)
Creative-Testing
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Creative-Testing »

Hi Releaux & mikehalloran,

I'm curious how this went for you ...?
I'm looking to do a similar configuration ...

The manual indicates this is possible ...
Though it must be that MIDI configurations would, of course, appear differently ... in the routing configurations of computers of widely different generations ...

Also, I've heard that it is possible to configure 4 MTP AVs on a single port ... making 8 MTP AVs possible on an older Serial Port only computer ....

Anyone have experience with that ...?

In my years of this kind of work ... I've found many untested things turned out to be possible ...

But less testing, and more experienced confirmation, is always better ...

Thanks to any and all for your thoughts on this!

ps:
All Macs involved ...
Older serial ports, newer USB ...

:unicorn:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Again, not enough information so I'll address some generalities.

Older MOTU serial MIDI interfaces are easy to find. In fact, I have one I've not used in ten years. Only the serial MTP-AV can be daisy-chained into the MTP-AV USB. G3 and earlier Macs can use the serial version. B&W G3 -- G5s can use the USB with any firmware. Intel Macs require firmware 2.0.1 on the MTP-AV USB.

As to routing the signals to and from various Macs, the manual will be far more helpful than I.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro