Volume Control

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jimmyv
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Volume Control

Post by jimmyv »

Hello everybody. First time poster here and I am looking for a little help using my 828 MK 2.
I am a DJ, using a Macbook pro with Mavericks. Traktor Kontrol S4 is causing my computer to crash. I dug up my 828 which I haven't used in years, and hooked it up. Everything seems to be working OK and my computer is not crashing anymore. I have read the manual, and it is a bit complicated for me, as I have very little production or live sound experience.

My work flow is as follows:

828 MK2 connected to laptop using a firewire to thunderbolt adapter.
Traktor Kontrol S4 connected to laptop via USB
Head phones assigned to Main out 1 - 2 (plugged into front jack)
1/4 (to RCA) going from Analog 1 & 2 Out (on rear) to a channel on my DJ mixer.
Audio properly routed in my software (Traktor Pro 2)

I can control the volume of my headphones with out a problem. I am trying to control the volume of the output to my DJ mixer.
I have read the manual, and searched everywhere and I cannot find the answer. I am sure I am using this interface in it's most simplest form ever, I just can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.
grouse

Re: Volume Control

Post by grouse »

What exactly is the problem? Is there no sound at all coming through or is it too low or is it fixed and you can't control it?
I'm assuming you mean a separate analogue multi channel DJ mixer.
If the headphones and the main outputs are going out through the same channels, then you should be hearing the same thing both through headphones and the mixer and be able to control the volume with the main volume knob.
Have you looked at the 828 software and made sure everything is assigned to Out 1-2?
If you let us more details here we can try to help out. Cheers.
DP 7.24, Focusrite 18i20, 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, OSX 10.9.5, 4 GB RAM, Reason 10, Kontakt, Motif +++
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

Maybe switch your phones and main output assignments and assign the phones to monitor analog 1-2. Then you'll have control over the mains and phones on the front panel. The volume button switches between phones and mains by pressing it in. Looks good on paper anyway - something to try (or maybe I'm not getting the issue).
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

NazRat wrote: The volume button switches between phones and mains by pressing it in.
That's it, shouldn't have to get fancy with multiple outputs.

If you were trying to monitor several different output pairs, there should be a parameter in a global menu "Phones Follow Active Mix" that allows you to cue up other sources without it hitting your PA...but doesn't sound like you need that.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
grouse

Post by grouse »

If he's DJ'ing he'll be needing main out plus a separate headphone mix.
The best way to do that that might be to have the headphones come out of the mixer.
Anyway if he provides more details we can see what he's at.
DP 7.24, Focusrite 18i20, 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, OSX 10.9.5, 4 GB RAM, Reason 10, Kontakt, Motif +++
jimmyv

Post by jimmyv »

My controller emulates a DJ mixer. I plug the headphones in on the jack on front of the 828 and I can cue either channel by selecting that on my controller. That works without a problem.
I plug a 1/4 to RCA (1 cable, left and right) from outputs 1 and 2 into a single (stereo) channel on my DJ mixer. Turntable or CD players take channels 1 and 2 and 828 would be plugged into channel 3.
I can control the volume for the headphones on the 828, I cannot control the main volume (volume going to DJ mixer). It is fixed. Even if I push the button to switch the volume setting I a trying to choose.
Thanks for the help.
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

Outputs 1 and 2 of the 828 are not controlled by the front panel volume control. Connect to the MAIN OUT L R jacks instead.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
jimmyv

Post by jimmyv »

TinenTech thanks, it worked.
But just a thought... I know for a fact this is not how I used to hook it up with my old controller. When I plugged it in the way I stated earlier, the "OUT" 1 & 2 LED's would be lit up on the bottom row and the "MAIN" dB meter would "bounce" with the music coming out of the headphones. Now that I think of it I can't recall 100% if I had volume control that way.
I used it over the weekend using my old way of connecting it to my mixer and I had no issues. Is one way preferred over the other?
Again, thanks for the help everybody.