Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid not recognized by MBP Mid 2012

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
FlatEric
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid not recognized by MBP Mid 2012

Post by FlatEric »

Hi there,
Yesterday I spent the whole day trying to install my new Ultralite MK3 Hybrid into my MacbookPro 2012, but couldnt achieve that :|
I connect it via USB port, so using also the dc power supply.
Nothing happened. Seems like the interface its not detected by the mbp.
In fact, when I open AudioDesk, it appears:

"No audio hardware was found. [MotuAudioSystem Mas MasCoreAudioDeviceSet.cpp 139 [58:0]"

At the Ultralite LCD screen I can read how it initializes:
Loading AutoRoute....Done
Loading Cue Mix.... (then a kind of snap or click sounds)
Meter 48 (blinkin a couple of times and keeps on the screen).

If I open CueMix FX, the "Devices" tab is empty.
If I open Motu Audio Setup, I can not see the Ultralite mk3 installed.

It does the same start either if its connected to the laptop or not, nothing seems to be different in both cases.

I dont know what more may I try.
Of course I've download the lastest drivers from the official website, I've also updated my Mac OsX (used to have 10.4.8 and now 10.9.2, doesnt work in both versions).
My MBP is a mid2012 with an i7 @ 2.9 Ghz, 8GB DDR3, SSD of 256GB and two USB 3.0 ports.

I hope someone can help me. I'm a bit frustrated with this issue.
Thank you for your time.
Kind Regards,
A.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid not recognized by MBP Mid 2012

Post by James Steele »

If nobody has an answer, I'd consider calling MOTU tech support Monday morning.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Oddly enough there's another brand new user posting about a similar problem with the Ultralite here:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=57402

Quite the coincidence. You might want to look in that thread and see if a solution comes up there as well.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
FlatEric

Post by FlatEric »

Yes, I've read it. It's quite similar, but that user said he had the interface running for a short period of time, and then it crashes. I've never got it recognized.
It's quite strange, I've read many threads talking about these kind ofnot-recognizing-problems. Is there any known issue between mbp usb 3.0 ports and Motu usb 2.0 interfaces? Is it supposed to be recognized just plugging it? Maybe the interface (as it works as standalone unit) is by default not connecting the usb data feature?
So many questions...hope someone could help me.
Regards.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

FlatEric wrote:Yes, I've read it. It's quite similar, but that user said he had the interface running for a short period of time, and then it crashes. I've never got it recognized.
It's quite strange, I've read many threads talking about these kind ofnot-recognizing-problems. Is there any known issue between mbp usb 3.0 ports and Motu usb 2.0 interfaces? Is it supposed to be recognized just plugging it? Maybe the interface (as it works as standalone unit) is by default not connecting the usb data feature?
So many questions...hope someone could help me.
Regards.
I think I may have heard of some people having to use USB hubs between them. Not sure.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Check out this topic:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=54092

I think in some cases using a hub in between helped.

FlatEric

Post by FlatEric »

Well, we will see.
I've written several emails to motu support, but their costumer service really sucks.
After 6 days no answer, and when I try to register the product with the serial number, webpage says serial number doesn't match with product selected.
Even last friday the webpage was the whole day down.
Really dissaponted with them.
Agent of Random

Post by Agent of Random »

I had the same reg problem with the 828 hybrid...turns out I had the regular mk3 version selected instead of the Hybrid, so thats why my serial woudnt go through. Maybe youre having the same problem?

Anyway you can contact support directly once you registered, so that or calling is probably your best next move
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Seems like the interface its not detected by the mbp.
You have swapped cables, right?

The usb and FW ports can get corrupted. Certain brands of FW hubs have been known to cause this problem.

Reset your NVRAM (PRAM). Shut down and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys while booting. Let it chime 3 times before releasing. I once had to do this three times with AppleCare Support on the phone before my ports came back to life. Support was getting ready to schedule a service call to replace the motherboard.

Use Apple Disk Utility to Repair Permissions. Also run Verify Disk. If it reveals any problems, run Repair Disk from another drive.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro