ADAT Out stops sending audio during show

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
dwood3455
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

ADAT Out stops sending audio during show

Post by dwood3455 »

Here is the setup. Macbook Pro with SSD and 8Gb ram running latest version of Qlab and OS 10.9.2. Updated MOTU drivers. Firewire 800 into two daisy chained 828mkiii hybrids. ADAT out of 828's into M7CL console. Using the first 6 channels of ADAT for a dance show. Once last night and once this afternoon the sound abruptly and unexpectedly cut out. Qlab was still running and the meters on the 828 were still bouncing. This is after hours and hours of tech rehearsals so I doubt a bad cable. I plugged headphones into the 828 and all sounded fine. Both the 828's and the console are clocked by a Big Ben and everything looked fine there. The MOTU just stopped sending digital audio out of the ADAT ports. My work around for the show tonight is to run Analog out to the board but that kind of kills all my discrete digital routing. (On a side note I constantly multitrack 32 channels out of the M7CL into the 828's and have never had a problem.) Anybody have any ideas or suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Various analog front end gear-> Apogee Rosetta 800->Quadcore 2.2 GHz MBP/OSX 10.13.6->Rosetta->HR824's, Apogee Duet,Various FW HD's,
Yamaha CL5> Dante Virtual Soundcard> Mac mini, DP 10.01
HCMarkus

Re: ADAT Out stops sending audio during show

Post by HCMarkus »

A random thought:
Are you using a UPS for the audio gear AC (excepting power amps, of course)? I'm thinking voltage drop when everything is happening during your show...
dwood3455

Post by dwood3455 »

I am using a UPS, but have never experienced a voltage drop. If the UPS kicks in though there is an audible chirp alerting you of the problem and I haven't experienced any of that. It is all clean power coming from a dedicated 200A panel. Do you think a voltage drop would cause ADAT out to cut but keep everything else running fine? Thanks for your reply.
Various analog front end gear-> Apogee Rosetta 800->Quadcore 2.2 GHz MBP/OSX 10.13.6->Rosetta->HR824's, Apogee Duet,Various FW HD's,
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dwood3455 wrote:I am using a UPS, but have never experienced a voltage drop. If the UPS kicks in though there is an audible chirp alerting you of the problem and I haven't experienced any of that. It is all clean power coming from a dedicated 200A panel. Do you think a voltage drop would cause ADAT out to cut but keep everything else running fine? Thanks for your reply.
Just a thought. Random.
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

I vaguely remember something about ADAT Optical chips that involves them reclocking on their own…I was running into a Yamaha 02R and it did something similar. The ADAT was still sending, it was the Yamaha that automatically muted because of a clock mistiming. (There may be a parameter in the Yamaha that you can change so it doesn't mute, but allows a "click" if necessary?)

Instead of connecting the Big Ben to the Yamaha's Word Clock In, connect it only to the 828 and clock the M7CL to the ADAT IN. It's "wrong" (or at least, not the normal way of doing it), but it might avoid some obscure problem.

If you have the problem again, try immediately plugging the ADAT Optical into some other hardware (like an old ADAT or an AI-3) you can listen to, to verify that the 828 isn't sending optical out.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
dwood3455

Post by dwood3455 »

Thanks for the reply TinenTech. I have not had the opportunity to replicate the exact situation since my original post. I will definitely try your suggestion when I have the chance. It was recommended by MOTU to clock the console and the two 828's from the BigBen word clock and I hadn't had any problems for over a year until this post.