Ultralite mk3 non-hybrid low output

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jonen
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Ultralite mk3 non-hybrid low output

Post by jonen »

Hi,

I encounter various issues with my Ultralite mk3 non-hypbrid version.
It used to work just fine, but since some days I have inconveniently low output volume.

Oddly, the device's meter display shows (normal volume) output on analog channel 1, although I just have reset it to its factory settings and I am just sending sound to the main outs.
When I set my sound output only to main out left channel, the meter does not show any signal coming out of analog channel 1, which is the way it should be. But when I set it to the left main out channel, I can see a normal volume output on analog channel 1 and very low output on main left channel. (The main outputs left and right shall not be confused with the analog outputs.)

Interestingly, when i set the output to analog channel 1, I can see very low output on main right channel and normal output level on the analog channel 1. To me it seems like the right main out channel is falsely connected to analog channel 1.

I guess it is not a intern routing problem cause I tired resetting the device serval times already.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Ultralite mk3 non-hybrid low output

Post by mikehalloran »

Any corrosion on any of the internal connections could cause this. I would open it up and, one at a time, disconnect any ribbon connectors and reconnect them. Same with any internal plugs or sockets.

I am always amazed by how often this works. I have certain pieces of equipment where this must be done every few years.

If it works, a spray can of DeOxIt Gold should keep it from happening again. Radio Shack and most electronics stores carry this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jonen
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Ultralite mk3 non-hybrid low output

Post by jonen »

Thanks, I will definitely try it. Could it solve my low output problem too?