Recorded Track Not Panning with DP6 and Ultralite

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
gspeas
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Recorded Track Not Panning with DP6 and Ultralite

Post by gspeas »

Hi; I'm new to the forum, but have been using DP6 for several years with my 1.5GHz 12" Powerbook's audio in/out jacks. I now have an Ultralite Mk1, and when I try to pan a recorded track in the mixer, it won't go to either side, but just stays in the middle. Many times I'll record my guitar with both a pick-up and a mic so I can offset the left and right sides, but now I can't pan the tracks to either left or right sides. I think it must be a simple setting, but I'm not sure... thanks for the help, and the forum is great!
DP 5.1, DP 6.03, DP 7.24, MOTU Ultralite Mk1, Mackie 1202-VLZPro, Ashly GQX-3102, Yamaha DSR-112(2), MacBook Pro w/Mountain Lion, Powerbook w/ Leopard & Tiger, Furch GS-D2
mikehalloran

Re: Recorded Track Not Panning with DP6 and Ultralite

Post by mikehalloran »

Are you using CueMix?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gspeas

Post by gspeas »

Yes, I'm using CueMix, and I see there's a pan adj. there, but I can't seem to adjust the pan in DP or AudioDesk after the track is recorded. I did try to change the channel outputs on the DP mixer to two mono outs, but then the pan knob disappeared altogether! Do you think it is something in DP6 settings with the ultralite? Thanks, I'm new to CueMix and the Ultralite
DP 5.1, DP 6.03, DP 7.24, MOTU Ultralite Mk1, Mackie 1202-VLZPro, Ashly GQX-3102, Yamaha DSR-112(2), MacBook Pro w/Mountain Lion, Powerbook w/ Leopard & Tiger, Furch GS-D2
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You don't need AudioDesk if you are running DP. Use one or the other.

After the track is recorded, you should be able to monitor playback in stereo and use DP's pan pots to set the spread. If the tracks are recorded mono, one track to a channel.

Do you have the latest drivers for Mavericks installed? There were issues assigning outputs in earlier versions if I read correctly.

Do you have your output bundles assigned correctly? Any mono channel should be assigned to something like Main 1-2 and you should have those in your 'phones. DP can't pan between 2 channels if there aren't two assigned to pan between... I hope that's clear. If you have output assigned to a single channel, there's the problem.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gspeas

Post by gspeas »

Thanks Mike; I appreciate your help very much, and I'm embarrassed to say that now that I went back through everything and all the steps, the panning knob does now work on new recordings. It worked well on both the MacBook Pro, which is running Mt. Lion, and the PowerBook, which runs Leopard and Tiger. I did open up some of the older recordings when I had noticed the problem, and the tracks do not pan on them. The in/out settings are the same, and everything else I can think of is the same, but for some reason, the output won't travel to the right or left. In any case, thanks again, and happy recording to you!