pre-USB Timepiece AV + OSX 10.4 Powerbook

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Array Alan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

pre-USB Timepiece AV + OSX 10.4 Powerbook

Post by Array Alan »

I did a quick search but didn't see a reply that matched my situation, so figured I'd ask.

I'm a biologist recording bird sounds using some legacy MOTU hardware. We've got one working rig of a Powerbook G4 + MIDI Timepiece AV plus 2x896's, with the Mac running DP4.6 and Clockworks . We are putting together another rig, but accidentally bought a pre-USB Timepiece. Not entirely sure how to connect this to the Mac. The (USB version) manual suggests Appletalk, but the laptops don't have that. Do I need an Appletalk -> Ethernet adapter? Other suggestions?

Thanks!
Alan
mikehalloran

Re: pre-USB Timepiece AV + OSX 10.4 Powerbook

Post by mikehalloran »

Yours requires a beige G3 or earlier Mac with a serial port. Griffin made an inexpensive adapter that worked a long time ago but I haven't seen one in over 10 years.

The only other way anymore is to buy an MTP-USB and use a serial cable to connect the two. This is the only MOTU MIDI interface where you can link the serial to the USB version and have it work.

If your Mac is a PPC, you can use any firmware version of the MIDI Timepiece USB.

If your Mac is an Intel, you need to have one with firmware version 2.01. This is present on the chip set. Although replaceable, MOTU no longer has the upgrade chip sets available - they sold out over a year ago.

The MTP is discontinued but readily available on eBay. Just be aware of the firmware. A lot of sellers thing that, if it says "Mac and Windows", it works with an intel Mac. Not without a 2.01 chip set. I upgraded mine in 2012 so that it would work with my iMac.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Array Alan

Post by Array Alan »

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the two rigs will not be near each other so connecting to our existing MTP (USB) isn't really an option. If we purchase a second MTP (USB) we would just use that instead of the older model and skip the conversion.

If I somehow find a solution I'll post here.
Array Alan

Post by Array Alan »

Well, we went with practicality. Returned the older model and bought the USB version.