XT USB problem? can play MIDI tracks but not record RESOLVED

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
bammill
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

XT USB problem? can play MIDI tracks but not record RESOLVED

Post by bammill »

I'm using DP 4.6 on a mac G4 with a Alesis QS7 as controller thru an Express XT USB connected to 4 other MIDI modules. I also have an 828 Mk II connected to the mac via firewire for recording audio. I've been using this for quite a while with no problems.

I recently switched my controller from the QS7 to a Yamaha MOX6 via MIDI in/out, not via USB. That's when the problem started. My XT doesn't respond to the MOX6 well, making DP freeze sometimes. Once the lights on the XT were flashing in a circular pattern - from left to right and then repeating over and over. Another time, DP kept quitting every time I opened it. I did find a bad MIDI cable going from the keyboard MIDI out to the XT MIDI in but it did not fix my problem. I was able to record using the MOX until recently. I might add that there are certain quick setup settings on the MOX which I may not have set right.

Frustrated, I switched the keyboard back to the QS7. My song plays alright, I can record audio okay thru the 828 but cannot record MIDI. I put a track in record but get no notes recorded; keyboard makes no sound and I get no MIDI response lights on the XT or my modules. Keyboard is set to out ch. 1. When I stop record, there are sys ex messages recorded on the track approx two per bar. They are evenly spaced on the track. Have no idea what sysex means or why it appears on the track. I am suspecting the problem is with the XT or my Audio MIDI Setup window. Can the XT be reset or freemidi reinstalled? It does work on playback but not record. Could a setting be wrong in Audio MIDI Setup or Clockworks?
I know I'm using old technology but it has worked for me until now. Any advice would be appreciated.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: XT USB problem? can play MIDI tracks but not record

Post by HCMarkus »

Thoughts:

Did the bad MIDI cable damage the XT?

Have you tried using other MIDI input on the XT?

Consider using the 828 MIDI i/o.

Consider using USB for MIDI on the Yamaha.. driver is free on Yamaha website
bammill

Post by bammill »

Thanks, HC for the ideas. Remeber that I have 4 MIDI modules that I use. If I use MIDI via the 828 Mk II or USB from keyboard to computer, how am I going to get these modules into my recording chain? I'll try your suggestions just with the MOX to see if I have the same problem recording.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Thanks, HC for the ideas. Remeber that I have 4 MIDI modules that I use. If I use MIDI via the 828 Mk II or USB from keyboard to computer, how am I going to get these modules into my recording chain?
First you have to figure out what is and is not working. The 828mkII should give you a known good MIDI input. Until you diagnose the problem, it will be difficult to address it. If your XT went south, you need to know.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bammill

Post by bammill »

Good point, Mike, thanks.
bammill

Post by bammill »

I plugged the MIDI ins/outs from my QS7 into my 828 MkII and put the change (switching from the XT to the 828) in Audio MIDI Setup in DP and still get nothing when I try to record a MIDI track. I get no sound from the QS when I set global out to channel 1, which is my normal setting in the past. Now I don't even get the sys ex recorded on the track like I did before. Any ideas as to why the keyboard won't send MIDI data?
bammill

Post by bammill »

Well, oddly enough, my gear just started cooperating again. I don't know if a faulty cable started working again or what. I can record with the QS7 as controller. I still have not solved my original problem, which was with the Yamaha MOX6 not functioning as a controller. If any of you use a Yamaha MOX series Keyboard as your main keyboard, I'd like to know if you have had any issues with using it to record in DP.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Is there a user board for the Yamaha?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bammill

Post by bammill »

I am having the same problem again - my controller (QS7) cannot get the notes to DP through my Express XT USB. The cables are good. I can plug the QS7 MIDI out to my K2000R input and it plays the module. But when the MIDI out on the QS is run to input 1 of the Express XT there are no lights blinking to indicate that it is receiving MIDI data. Anyone have a clue?
I recorded with it just the other night fine. Didn't change anything to my knowlege. The QS output is set to Out ch 1.

I also wonder if it could be the Audio MIDI Setup window in DP (version 4.6) Can you think of some setting that could be amiss? I have a project I really need to complete, so Help if you can. thanks
bammill

Post by bammill »

I traced the problem to a bad MIDI cable. Up and running now.