Daisy Chain and ordering them in aggregate core audio device

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
colluraamara
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Daisy Chain and ordering them in aggregate core audio device

Post by colluraamara »

Hi, I'm owner of three audio interfaces Motu: 828 Mk3 Hybrid , Traveler Mk3 , 8pre ( firewire) .

I connect these three interfaces via firewire daisy chain :
Mac --- > 828 mk3 Hybrid --- > Traveler Mk3 --- > 8pre .

The chain works , the three separate CueMix allow me to adjust the interfaces separately , in the Motu Audio Setup are all displayed ( in this order: 8pre - 828Mk3Hybrid - TravelerMk3 ).
In the audio configuration of the mac these are regularly displayed ( in this order: TravelerMk3 - 828Mk3Hybrid - 8pre ) .

So, I create a new core audio aggregate device, and name it "828+Traveler+8pre" (the aggregate device displays the three interfaces in this order: TravelerMk3 - 828Mk3Hybrid - 8pre ) .

Everything works perfectly , all Inputs and Outputs are displayed and works correctly.

Now, my problem is this:
The Mac order the three interfaces automatically , in alphabetical order , so I find a core audio as follows:
Traveler --- > 828Mk3Hybrid --- > 8pre .

This is a problem , because I want as the first interface the 828 Mk3 Hybrid (which I just connected as the first interface in the hardware chain , and is connected directly to the mac ), followed by the Traveler Mk3 and at the end the 8pre .

The " problem " is the ordering on core audio, which then presents itself to me in the interfaces and in Daw Logic 9 .

For example, on Logic 9 , all the In and Out are displayed and work correctly , but the In and Out of the 828 Mk3 Hybrid are next in order of number compared to those of the Traveler Mk3 and this is a problem when I set the channels in my system , creating confusion .
For example , the output of the 1-2 channels of Traveler Mk3 is in 15-16 Out of Logic , while the output 5-6 of the 828 Mk3 I know Out in 25-26.

I put the 828 Mk3 Hybrid as the first interface in the chain because I wanted that its In/Out were the first to be selected in my Daw , in ascending order to the interfaces connected to the chain.

So I wanted to ask you if there is a way to set the order "software" interface linked in a chain , arranging them in order to start the chain and not in alphabetical order.

I hope you understand what my question , as a result of the intricate reasoning above .

Thank you in advance , best regards.
Francis Barbee.
Mac Pro 5.1(2010), Intel Xeon 2.8 Ghz, 12 Gb Ram, 1Tb Hd, OsX Mavericks 10.9.5; Motu Pcie424 with two HD192, Motu MTP Av Usb, Apogee BigBen, Soundcraft 600/500M Custom; Logic Pro 9.1.8, Logic X; MacMini (late 2009), Core 2 Duo 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb Hd, OsX Snow Leopard 10.6.8.
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Daisy Chain and ordering them in aggregate core audio de

Post by NazRat »

AMS in Mavericks gives you the ability to order the devices and name the channels. Here is a screenshot:

You drag the inteface in the subdevices bar to order them and you can click on the numbered slots and name the channels. Older versions of the OS allowed you to order the interfaces by dragging them up and down in the definition, but that went away sometime around Snow Leopard or Lion. It was definitely not available in Mountain Lion. Now it's back in a big way in Mavericks so an upgrade would help, but maybe mess up other things.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
Old Bruce
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Daisy Chain and ordering them in aggregate core audio de

Post by Old Bruce »

NazRat wrote:AMS in Mavericks gives you the ability to order the devices and name the channels. Here is a screenshot:

You drag the inteface in the subdevices bar to order them and you can click on the numbered slots and name the channels. Older versions of the OS allowed you to order the interfaces by dragging them up and down in the definition, but that went away sometime around Snow Leopard or Lion. It was definitely not available in Mountain Lion. Now it's back in a big way in Mavericks so an upgrade would help, but maybe mess up other things.
This is great. I learn something everyday and on occasion it is something like this: Useful. Thanks for including the screenshot.
Bruce