828MK3 link two sets 8pre with ADAT trouble - Help!!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
RYO
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828MK3 link two sets 8pre with ADAT trouble - Help!!

Post by RYO »

I have two 8pre and one 828mk3, I tried to connect them by optical cable. connect the four optical cable with a noise is heard intermittently.

I listed the step what I have to do.
1. connect (A)8pre optical in port to 828 optical A out port.
2. connect (A)8pre optical out port to 828 optical A in port.
3. connect (B)8pre optical in port to 828 optical B out port.
4. connect (B)8pre optical out port to 828 optical B in port.
5. 828 firewire connect to PC.
6. Set the clock to "Internal".

I disable either ADAT A or B. The noise sound will disappear.
If I turn on both ADAT A and B, The noise sound will be back.

Please give some instructions to solve this issue. Thank you very much.
rockitcity
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828MK3 link two sets 8pre with ADAT trouble - Help!!

Post by rockitcity »

I'll try to sort this out. Your noise problem is the result of running individual clock on each unit. I'm not sure what I propose will work with 2 8 pre's, but I know it will work with one.

To avoid digital snaps, pops, etc, all interfaces must run from a common clock. The easiest way to do this would be to make your 8preA the master clock. You run the output of 8preA to the 828 optical input A. Set 8preA to internal clock. Set the 828 clock to ADAT. This should give you a clean signal. You can verify the clock is set properly by changing the sample rate on the 8pre and observing if the 828 switches as well.

Now, connect 8preB output to the 828 optical B input. Here's the unknown: Connect the 828 ADAT B out to 8preB optical in. Set 8preB sync to ADAT. Theroetically, changing sample rate on 8preA should now change sample rate on the 828 and 8preB. Careful, you might get snaps when changing sample rates, so mute your monitors! Your 828 should be connected to the PC via firewire. Disadvantage here is that it could be possible to have your interface and DAW software at different sample rates, which can really cause speed and pitch problems.

Alternatively, you can make the 828 your master clock and set its clock to internal. You should be able to control its sample rate from your DAW software. Both your 8pres will now be set to ADAT sync, so they will receive sync from the 828. When you change sample rates in your software, all 3 interfaces should switch.

No guarantees this will work with 2 8pres, but I know it works with one and an 896 as the master. Use this advice at your own risk and with caution.
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!
RYO
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: 828MK3 link two sets 8pre with ADAT trouble - Help!!

Post by RYO »

Thank you rockitcity. I tried all the things that I can do. After check MOTU's engineer, It seems my 828 has damage!!! But if I link with one 8pre it can be workable. I will send back MOTU to repair. Thanks!