Computer not receiving MIDI notes via MTP

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
stringtheory
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Computer not receiving MIDI notes via MTP

Post by stringtheory »

Very strange problem that just began a couple days ago.

DP is no longer receiving or transmitting notes from controllers connected via my MTPAV USB. The MIDI monitor window shows no activity when I play notes on my keyboard or drum machine, or move controllers. Recorded MIDI plays back. I can change patches via the "Patch" column in the TO. But DP does not receive or transmit MIDI notes, to either VIs or external devices.

Input filters are correctly set (and the MIDI monitor should register incoming notes anyway).

I tried going back to 8.05, and that didn't help. Repaired permissions (God help me!) and that didn't help, restart didn't help.

I have checked out the MTP - I can manually route controllers to devices in Clockworks. I replaced the battery in the MTP today. AMS shows the interface and all devices connected correctly. The correct lights blink on the MTP when I use my controllers. The oddity here is that when I use the "Test Setup" setting in AMS, the MTP icon doesn't indicate that it is receiving data when i play the controllers. When I click on the MIDI Out arrows of the MTP icon, the arrow lights up and target devices receive a burst of data, as normal. As noted, the lights on the MTP show incoming data as expected, and via Clockworks I can route that data. But nothing gets sent to the computer. But AMS is seeing the interface and reporting its connections properly to DP.

This feels like one of those "I'm missing something really obvious" moments, but i can't see it. Any ideas out there?
27" iMac 4.0GHz (late 2015), 32G RAM, OSX 10.13.6, DP10.01, UAD Apollo Duo TB, MTPAV USB (also 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro, 32G RAM, Apollo Twin Duo TB)
mikehalloran

Re: Computer not receiving MIDI notes via MTP

Post by mikehalloran »

If you use the 828, does MIDI work?

Have you verified that your USB bus is functioning? If not, reset the PRAM a few times - I once had to do it four times to bring back the bus on my iMac.

Have you tried connecting directly, using a different cable? Burnish the cable connectors by unplugging and reconnecting with your system and your MTP off.

If that fails, open your unit again and burnish any ribbon connectors. You'd be surprised how often that can bring old gear back to life.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stringtheory

Re: Computer not receiving MIDI notes via MTP - RESOLVED

Post by stringtheory »

First, thank you Mike - I knew the USB was working on the MTP because it and all the attached devices were showing up in AMS and DP. But, I was willing to try anything, so thanks for your suggestion.

As it turns out, what fixed my problem was a hard reset, which I had not thought of, and anyway when I did think of it I figured that replacing the battery - which wiped the memory - would have forced a hard reset. But after a hard reset, everything worked. Then, when I reloaded my config file (a ".cwf" file), I lost connection to the computer again. I tried this a few times, always with the same result: hard reset fixes problem, reloading config file reintroduces it. So, I'm going for the "corrupted config file" answer, something new to file away...

I also have found (as elsewhere reported on this forum) that the MTP doesn't want to open the current Clockworks (1.6) from AMS, it wants the old Clockworks (1.51), but since deleting that a while ago to try and fix THAT problem, I can't even get the re-installed old Clockworks to open...not a big problem, just means I can't open it by double-clicking on the MTP in AMS...
27" iMac 4.0GHz (late 2015), 32G RAM, OSX 10.13.6, DP10.01, UAD Apollo Duo TB, MTPAV USB (also 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro, 32G RAM, Apollo Twin Duo TB)