Motu 8pre volume control

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
derienzo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Motu 8pre volume control

Post by derienzo »

Hi,

I have owned my Motu 8pre (Firewire version) for around 5 years now and this problem has been happening for the past 2-3 years. I am only now seeking advice.

The volume control on my Motu device is incredibly sensitive. If I turn the volume up slowly then it is fine but if I turn it up any faster than a snails pace it shoots up to full volume and has threatened to blow my monitors on several occasions...

I don't think it's a driver issue as the problem happens when the device isn't connected to the computer. I have tried it with OSX 10.6, 8, and 9, and it happens on every OS.

I can only assume that the problem lies in the hardware. Is there any easy way to see what is causing the issue? Or has anyone else experienced anything similar??

Thanks
TinenTech
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Motu 8pre volume control

Post by TinenTech »

Is the volume control on your unit a shaft encoder (digital, that goes around continuously) or analog (has a stop at each end)? If it's the latter, it's probably a bad pot, unlikely to be a software problem.

If the former, is it the kind where you push it to change the sample rate? Maybe exercising that switch would do the trick?

I was going to suggest turning on CueMix and seeing if it reflects the volume pot...but then remembered that usually CueMix doesn't include the front panel main volume on my Traveler, so I assume it doesn't on the 8pre.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
derienzo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by derienzo »

Hi,

The volume control is digital, it goes round continuously. The problem persists when the MOTU 8pre is not plugged in so I assume the problem is within the unit. Could it be a loose connection or something similar?

I would check CueMix but unfortunately I can not find my MOTU disc to install it.

Thanks
TinenTech
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by TinenTech »

You could download the universal audio installer from MOTU to get CueMix FX.

What about when you push the volume control in? Does it alternate between controlling Phones and Main?
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12