MOTU TRACK 16 NO SOUND ISSUE NEED HELP!!!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
rodakamalfl
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU TRACK 16 NO SOUND ISSUE NEED HELP!!!

Post by rodakamalfl »

Hi I just got the MOTU Track 16 today, I ran the software that came with unit, then went to MOTU .com and downloaded the latest driver package for iMAC which is Mavericks, rebooted the computer, turn on the device for the first time, was able to hear sound through my powered Yorkville monitors. About 30 min's after, I started to hear some pops, n cracks, then I lost all sound. I have tried rebooting, I even did a firmware update on the unit, STILL! no sound at all, I wanted to ask on this FORUM if anyone has had the same issue and if they worked out what was going on? before I take it back to Sam Ash tomorrow, I have noticed if I move breakout cable slightly it makes a very bad crack and pop sound coming out of my monitors, so I am guessing it is faulty? I am a little bit annoyed something like this can leave the place where it was made with a serious problem, where was the thorough quality check?
Thanks, a little bit frustrated right now, if anyone can help please let me know
Cheers, Rodney in FLORIDA! :headbang:
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: MOTU TRACK 16 NO SOUND ISSUE NEED HELP!!!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

That's not normal. If the cable is loose and you've checked that it's tightened, then it sounds like it could be damaged. That doesn't mean it was necessarily damaged out of the factory unless your box was factory sealed.

A couple of things.

NEVER connect of disconnect ANY Firewire device with the computer or the device powered on. Yeah, they say you can, but some cables and connectors can short out and damage if not destroy the Firewire capabilities of the devices, even other connected FW devices.

Try connecting the T16 to USB if it's currently connected via FW (or visa versa) and see if that makes a difference. Remember: EVERYTHING POWERED OFF WHEN MAKING OR BREAKING ANY FW CONNECTION!!! Critical! Been there. Bought the new machines.

Try the T16 in standalone mode.

Finally, I ALWAYS run the T16 using external, not bus power. All clicks, pops, or other problems disappeared and it is rock solid.

Hope that helps.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rodakamalfl

Re: MOTU TRACK 16 NO SOUND ISSUE NEED HELP!!!

Post by rodakamalfl »

Hi MIDI: yes I know it's not normal, yes the unit was factory sealed, brand new out of the box from Sam Ash music Tampa Fl.

I only had it connected using the 2.0 USB cable, my new iMac only has USB and Thunderbolt connections on the back, it doesn't have firewire which I feel is weird.

I even connected it to my Windows 7 pro desktop and I get the same issue there now sound at all, I reset the unit to factory settings ok and I got sound for like 10 seconds through my powered monitors and then lost it again.

The break out cable is connected nicely, I am going to take it back to Sam Ash later today and will either get a full refund or get a new unit, I may even try the Microbook II as I only need the interface to let me record guitar into Logic Pro X, I don't need too many in's and outs, do you think the Mircobook II interface would be a better choice for me? Thanks
Rodney
dayslypper

Re: MOTU TRACK 16 Popping/crackling sound at start of video/

Post by dayslypper »

A registered same problem. Popping/cracking sound e.g. after running of Mp3/Video. It stops after reconnecting USB.

What was your solution?

I signed it mainly with Opera browser...

I found these information.

Update to Opera developer 26.0.1656.5 Known issue: Mac makes unwanted noises when starting to play H.264 videos on Yosemite (this is unrelated to the FFmpeg update in Chromium).
http://blogs.opera.com/desktop/2014/10/ ... -0-1656-5/

Glitchy Sound/Audio on certain web sites
https://forums.opera.com/discussion/186 ... b-sites/p1

I`m trying to solve it in MOTU TechLinks - issue no. 91066
But no success. I`m trying various combinations. No request from support guy to send thos piece for warranty claim.
mikehalloran

Re: MOTU TRACK 16 Popping/crackling sound at start of video/

Post by mikehalloran »

dayslypper wrote:A registered same problem. Popping/cracking sound e.g. after running of Mp3/Video. It stops after reconnecting USB.

What was your solution?

I signed it mainly with Opera browser...

I found these information.

Update to Opera developer 26.0.1656.5 Known issue: Mac makes unwanted noises when starting to play H.264 videos on Yosemite (this is unrelated to the FFmpeg update in Chromium).
http://blogs.opera.com/desktop/2014/10/ ... -0-1656-5/

Glitchy Sound/Audio on certain web sites
https://forums.opera.com/discussion/186 ... b-sites/p1

I`m trying to solve it in MOTU TechLinks - issue no. 91066
But no success. I`m trying various combinations. No request from support guy to send thos piece for warranty claim.
So, what happens when you try a different browser?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro