Cuemix touchosc code HELP please

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
loltuner
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Cuemix touchosc code HELP please

Post by loltuner »

Hi everybody
I try to make a template on touchosc to control cuemix on my traveler and my ultralite via ipad.
Here s my issue.

I want to make template for ear monitor for each musicians of my band, but don t want them to mess around with other ear monitor s mix.

How can i avoid using bus >> and << bus button and arrive directly to for example bus 3, or 4 on each template.

I don t want them to scroll around bus to mix their bus, because i know there will be problem, the guitarist will mix the drummer ear monitor ....
Just need to find how to open 1 bus, only one and the want i want, per template.

Hope i m clear enough.

Thanks for your help.
narrenschip
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Cuemix touchosc code HELP please

Post by narrenschip »

loltuner wrote: How can i avoid using bus >> and << bus button and arrive directly to for example bus 3, or 4 on each template.
I've also been looking into this for a while now and as far as I know this is not possible. I found a post some time (a year?) ago where someone asked this same question and got a reply from a MOTU employee saying that this was not (yet) implemented.

I also don't know if you can connect with more than one (touch)OSC-enabled device to cuemix.

The cuemix pdf-manual also mentions this about 'Other control surface products':
'If you install other control surface drivers written for CueMix FX, They will appear as separate menu items at the bottom of the Control Surfaces menu.'
This probably means there exists an API for CueMix FX. Does anyone know where and if this information is available to the general public?
loltuner

Post by loltuner »

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Happy to see i l m not the only one searching a solution on that.
Hope motu's team will find an answer to this problem.

I start looking at competitor like the behringer x32 rack for example but will definitely stay with motu if they hear our worries.

Keep in touch and cross fingers.
narrenschip

Post by narrenschip »

If one button could send more than one OSC command, you could create a workaround:
first send 8 times '<<bus' to move to bus one from wherever you are(if I remember correctly, '<<bus' doesn't wrap-around)
followed by the X times 'bus>>' to get to bus number X.

I can't think of a way to do this with TouchOSC as it only allows 1 OSC command per GUI-item (unless someone knows how to work around that limitation).
It's probably possible with 'Lemur' (expensive!): According to the manual you assign scripts to GUI elements.

This leaves the problem with the channels as they are grouped per 8. If I remember correctly there is a 'ch+8' (or something similar) to move the channel display up and down. They'l need a similar solution

And now that I think of it (I'm improvising here). You could define your own custom 'channel X on bus Y' OSC command, filter all TouchOSC traffic trough something like 'pd' (http://puredata.info, the free version of MAX/MSP).
This page provides a lot of info about OSC and pd:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/pure-data/network-data/osc/
In this case pd would present itself as a control surface to Cuemix.

I still see problems when more than one person want's to change his/her monitor mix settings at the same time:
person A pushes the 'switch to bus A button' and before they can update their mix, another person pushes the 'switch to bus B' button. If person A then moves a slider, it will affect mix B and not their own mix A ...

The perfect solution would be MOTU to update the OSC implementation. Or MOTU releasing the documentation of the CueMix API so someone can write a new 'OSC driver'.
narrenschip

Post by narrenschip »

An update after some experimenting on my good old ipod touch and a new ipad air (love it!) with CueMix fx, TouchOSC and the TouchOSC editor.

Buses and channels are always relative to the current 'osc-bus' or 'osc-channel'. Cuemix keeps track of them on a device basis, so multiple devices are no problem (I was wrong about that).
But you're not stuck to controlling faders on the current bus or current group of 8 sliders.
If you make sure that all band members devices are always at bus 1 and channel 1 (which, I think, is the case when Cuemix fx starts), you can address channels 'semi-directly'.
e.g. the 8 sliders in the 'mix' tab have this as OSC statement:
/bin/fvEB+0/fvInCS+0/cdf
/bin/fvEB+0/fvInCS+1/cdf
/bin/fvEB+0/fvInCS+7/cdf

When I change 1 slider to :
/bin/fvEB+4/fvInCS+17/cdf
it wil control the 18th channel on the 5th bus (counting starts at zero - 0 ).

It's similar for all other controls.

For some reason if you step outside the current 8-slider block the slider (or text, led, ...) won't update if someone else changes it. I'm looking into this: there's a 'TouchOSC-iPad.layout_description' file inside the Cuemix FX app bundle. Tweaking this might solve the 'update' problem.

For the moment I would add a separate 'setup' tab in the TouchOSC layout with <<bus>> and <<input>> buttons. You setup each device before the show. Musicians should stay out unless they 'really-know-what-they-are-doing'.

I'll also contact 'rolandvg99' (http://www.motunation.com/forum/memberl ... le&u=52432). He's done a In-Ear-Monitor mix setup for his band with iOS devices and his MOTU 828mk3:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 05#p439505
He was also active in a lot of the OSC threads here.
loltuner

Post by loltuner »

Woww that s a lot of path to invest. Will definitely try this out and check your links.
Thanks so much for sharing this.
galoz

Post by galoz »

Im on the same road, I tried everything with touchosc but the same problem, just one osc message and the same problem with the /bin/fvEB+4/fvInCS+ :!: /cdf mod..
so i tried Lemur, its easy to send e.g. eight times /fvInCS++ 1 but the problem is that i couldnt connect lemur with cuemix to send OSC... :evil:

really frustrating touchosc because my goal would be the same as yours each musician control their own cue mix..

if anyone knows how to connect lemur with cuemix fx (for OSC messages)... it could solve the problem..
narrenschip wrote:I'll also contact 'rolandvg99' (memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=52432). He's done a In-Ear-Monitor mix setup for his band with iOS devices and his MOTU 828mk3:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=51660&p=439505#p439505
He was also active in a lot of the OSC threads here.
did you have luck with rolandvg99??
rolandvg99

Post by rolandvg99 »

Hi, guys.
Haven't used my CueMix-setup for a while, but I still got my old templates. These are divided into 3(4) pages.

The first page is a bus selector - and the most important part is to remember to name your CueMix buses to help the users. I used my band members names. Another thing is that each band member must check the bus name before doing any changes. This can be done on every page. Thing is that whenever the iPad/iPod/iPhone goes to sleep or loses connection, the bus is defaulted to the first one.

Page two is a simple volume mixer
Page three is for panorama
Page four was meant to be a channel for the levels related to each musician/user for quick access. Couldn't get it to work as CueMix won't allow direct addressing.

Google shared files (downloadable touchosc files)
iPhone horizontal
iPad
Owns a 828MKIII, 8M AVB and DP7.24 + loads of non-significant stuff.