Switching between multiple Monitors in CueMix FX

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
moogvoyager
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Switching between multiple Monitors in CueMix FX

Post by moogvoyager »

Hi guys,

I am considering buying a MOTU 828x and highly interested in its output routing/switching possibilities. I already read the CueMix FX manual but couldn't find an answer to my question.

The aim is simply to switch the main out (e.g. Mix Bus 1) between 4 different pairs of speakers (outputs). I would like to connect the speakers to output 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 and simply like to switch between them for comparing the sound. Would this be possible with CueMix FX?

Currently I work with RME's TotalMix which provides snapshots for switching between different output configurations.

Any thoughts on this?

MV
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Switching between multiple Monitors in CueMix FX

Post by 4stripes »

I don't believe any MOTU will work well as a muli-monitor controller. You will likely need an external monitor controller.

Monitoring is detailed on page 96 of the manual. You can try to create either a custom monitor group, or see if you can select multiple outputs simultaneously to follow the same monitor gain. They will all follow the same monitor gain and be playing all at once, there is no facility to mute or solo outputs. Also, all your speakers will not produce the same output level, so you'd have different levels when switching between them (if you could). If your speakers don't have trims you won't be able to adjust for an offset.

The outputs page has a button called MONITOR. This assigns the outputs to be controlled by the separate monitor gain level control. Those outputs that are not MONITOR selected will output full level from the DAW with no gain control.

You have to be careful because you can really blast your ears out fooling with the monitor selector. For instance, if you have your speakers attached to MAIN OUT, and that is selected as your monitor, you might have the monitor gain down at -20 dB for comfortable listening. If you turn off the monitor selector, that becomes a regular output and the audio level is going to shoot up 20 dB.

You can try it, but you may find that a dedicated monitor controller is the way to do it without a 'faff.'

I don't have my MOTU handy, perhaps someone else is using their MOTU this way, but I don't think it will work very fluidly.
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

I agree that an outboard monitor switcher is preferable. The best switcher/controller I've ever worked with is the CraneSong Avocet...but that costs more than three 828s...

However, if you're using CueMix FX to mix live inputs--keeping in mind that CueMix is for live inputs, not feeds from a DAW--you can simply hook connect pairs of stereo outputs (1-2, 3-4, 5-6 etc.) to different monitor systems. Each mix page in CueMix has an output assign: simply change the output assignment to the monitors you want to hear.

And as 4stripes says, since only the first pair has a front-panel encoder, you don't have a master output level--outside of CueMix's master fader--for the other pairs.

In a DAW, you can reroute your "Main LR" output to any output pair (Pro Tools I/O page, DP Bundles page) the same way...but, it will not switch CueMix at the same time as an external monitor switch will.

So, it's doable, if you keep your wits about you. You can do some clever things with the CueMix snapshot memories if you want to do things like play back a CD in the control room, etc. Store a snapshot where all inputs except the CD are muted, and different snapshots with different output assignments on different layers.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
Puskas1978

Post by Puskas1978 »

Hello, I would like to connect in total 6 active speakers to my MOTU828MK3HYBRID.
Today, I have 2 active speakers connected to the MAIN outputs, but what is the configuration i best use to have 4 additional active speakers connected in order to have ALL 6 speakers connected and simultaneously playing the same sound?

Let me know if you require more information.

Andras
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Really, a monitor controller with three output channels is your best solution. There are many choices.

The Mackie Big Knob is found in studios worldwide and costs $299 new; $175-$240 on eBay.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BigKnob

I use the Behringer MiniMON 800. Although it has been discontinued, these show up on eBay frequently in the $50-$80 range.
http://www.music-group.com/Categories/B ... 3/Features

A dedicated monitor mixer with four output channels is far less common and more expensive.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I've been researching this very thing. You really can't run multiple monitors from CUeMix very successfully... there are ways around it, but they're all cumbersome compared to the simplicity of pushing a button on a monitor controller.

The Big Knob is kind of overkill for me. The Radial MC3 is certain to sound good, but only runs two pairs of monitors (enough for me, but not for most of you). I like the rack mounted cleanliness of the ProCo Switch Witch, but then there's no desktop volume knob.

I REALLY want a Palmer Monicon L, but I can't find them in the US: maybe they won't run om US juice. (I suspect this because the passive single-set Monicon is available at B&H.)

So this looks interesting. https://www.jrrshop.com/smproaudiompatch4m

And so does this. http://www.zenproaudio.com/new-old-sound-mcone-standard
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I REALLY want a Palmer Monicon L, but I can't find them in the US: maybe they won't run om US juice
That can't be the reason. It's passive except for the display LEDs and the headphone amp – that runs on a wall wart.

According to the user guide, the power supply is 16V DC, 2000mA tip + (don't know the barrel size). Certainly you can find one somewhere once you know the sleeve and pin sizes.

http://adamhall.invaliddomain.de/out/me ... _FR_ES.pdf
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I can't find one for sale in the US, Mike (the Palmer unit, that is, not the AC adapter).

I may just buy a Behringer Zenyx. But I still have a mental block against passing audio through anything with Uli's name on it. I had a Composer on loan for a while back in the day, and that POS colored the sound in bypass mode.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Although I like my Behringer Mini MON800 monitor controller, I would pass on the Xenix. They're not bad when new but they get noisy as they age. I had recommended them to students and found them pretty good for the price when new but no longer.

I recently bought a box of junk on eBay to get one of the pieces in it. Among the leftover crap were two Xenix mixers. Besides scratchy pots, these have a self-noise that is unacceptable — my Shure mixers from the 1960s are quieter. I'm going to put these on eBay for parts starting at a buck with an honest description — maybe someone can use the knobs.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Thanks for that, Mike. No surprise... That would have been my expectation.

The SM Pro unit looks nice....

EDITED: Actually, my Awfultones have a handy front-mounted volume control and convenient power switch (they're off most of the time), so all I really need is this:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/level-pilot/

So I ordered one. I've been pushing my workspace into a super-clean minimalist space, and this silver knob will be ideal.
Jim Bordner

Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Hey, I got this figured out, in a very elegant manner.

Step One: FORGET CUEMIX.

Step Two: Plug your monitors into analog outputs from the MOTU interface.

Step Three: On your Master Fader, just choose which set of analog outputs you want the Master out sent to. Main 1-2? It comes out of the main monitors. Analog 1-2? It comes out of the little M-Audios. Analog 3-4? Routed to the master inputs on the headphone distribution amp.

Nothing to it. I spent a day trying to make sense of CueMix in relationship to DP's ins and outs. When i finally realized I didn't need it, it all made sense.

With this approach you can run up to five pairs of stereo monitors. I've got mine wired to 2 pairs of near fields and a headphone amp. You could use CueMix to run talkback, but I never need it anymore.
Jim Bordner

thomasso

Post by thomasso »

Is it possible, to use more then a pair of speakers at the same time?
I mean can I set multiple outputs to use 4 speakers simultaneously?
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Not with this approach... you can set your output in DP for one stereo pair at a time. You can use CueMix to set up a 5.1 or 7.1 surround set-up, if that's what you want. But if you're talking about running multiple pairs of stereo monitors at the same time... no. It would just going to cause phase problems, anyway.

EDITED TO ADD: I guess you could run multiple Aux tracks, all with the same inputs but with different analog output pairs, to achieve the goal of sending the same signal through many pairs (up to 5) of monitors at once. Again, I don't know wy you would want to, but that should work.
Last edited by Gravity Jim on Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Bordner

thomasso

Post by thomasso »

Ok, Thank you!