Computer suddenly doesn't see the Traveler

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Linus-O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Computer suddenly doesn't see the Traveler

Post by Linus-O »

Hello there!

I've been using my Traveler (1. gen) for 7 years now without problems. But now it suddenly doesn't show up when I connect it to the computer. It turns on the way it supposed to so when connected so there is power but the computer just doesn't react.

I've recently upgraded to Mountain Lion (10.8). Is that the problem and what can I do? The firmware version is 1.07 which should still be the latest, right?

I hope you have a solution because I have a recording tomorrow morning.
Thank you!!
motupanplayer

Re: Computer suddenly doesn't see the Traveler

Post by motupanplayer »

Did you ever figure out a way to make this work? I have the same problem with 10.7.5 and a Traveler Mk1. None of my FW devices are recognized since 10.7.5.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

motupanplayer wrote:Did you ever figure out a way to make this work? I have the same problem with 10.7.5 and a Traveler Mk1. None of my FW devices are recognized since 10.7.5.
Without knowing your present setup, hard to give an answer. Most of us include our basic setups in our signatures for that reason.

Otherwise, the usual basics apply. Reset the NV RAM (PRAM) to restore your FW ports in case they have crashed. If no FW devices are working, this is the likely culprit.

Download the latest drivers from MOTU.com.

If you have TechTool Pro, you can see whether your FireWire and USB ports are working or not. Mine are sensitive to FW hubs – I never found one that didn't crash the ports on my Macs. It didn't matter if it was my B&W G3, G4, G5 or iMac i7.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
smcelyea

Post by smcelyea »

Did anyone figure this out?!? I got the same issue wit 10.10.10. A REAL drag!!! MOTU tech was no help, Apple tech said their MIDI was working OK, but the Virtual Audio/MIDI Studio does NOT see the MK1 Traveler. I have downloaded the latest drivers from MOTU. Traveler is version 1.07. HELP!!!

Sent from the McEliPhone 5s using Tapatalk
theodour
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by theodour »

Is your OS upgraded from a previous MacOS, or is it a fresh install?

I have the 1st generation traveler running on 10.10.5 on a 2012 Mac mini and haven't had any issues, but it was a clean install. My previous upgraded (from 10.8 to 10.9 to 10.10) worked as well, but the OS eventually wouldn't boot right--straight into a kernel panic (lots of custom stuff installed and probably broke from the upgrades).
smcelyea

Post by smcelyea »

Thanks. This is really getting beyond the scope of my savvy .

smcelyea

Post by smcelyea »

New issue with my Traveler gen1 1.07). When I am working in DP9.xx, my MIDI through works fine. When I want to use the Traveler as a standalone unit I cannot get the MIDI thru to work. It gets incoming, but will not pass through without DP running. What can I do to get the standalone MIDI through to work?!?