Ultralite MK3 Master Out Problem

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Seanson
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Ultralite MK3 Master Out Problem

Post by Seanson »

Hello Board,

I'm using Mainstage 2.2 under OS X 10.8.2 and sometimes the master output stops putting out signal. Mainstage shows audio going out but on the Ultralite the master output meters are pegged at max. Switching the source of the master out in MOTU audio setup drops the meters.

The only way to rectify the situation is to restart Mainstage. I suspect that the Ultralite is clipping at some point and thus disabling the output. Is this normal? Can you recommend a way to prevent this? There already is a limiter on the main out in Mainstage, but apparently, that's not enough. Do i just need to make sure the level of my master out is a bit lower? Should that be in Mainstage or on the hardware?

Thank you,
~ sj
baanes
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Ultralite MK3 Master Out Problem

Post by baanes »

That doesn't sound normal at all. I can't say I've sent out signals that clip the outputs for a long period of time, but I do listen to full-scale mixes regularly (attenuating later on) and there are never issues. It sounds more like you have a hardware issue than that you're using it wrong.

That said - do you hear it clipping, or do you just see the meter on the front panel peaking? It's not a very good meter.

Try turning the master volume down 6-10 db, if possible, to see if the problem continues. Or use a different pair of outputs.
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by 4stripes »

I agree. Full scale peak audio would not disable an interface.

Try using a different DAW to see if it still does it. If it does, it's the MOTU or your computer. If it doesn't, it's Mainstage.
Agent of Random
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Agent of Random »

that fact that restarting mainstage seems to fix it suggests it is probably a setting or error in mainstage. I think if the motu was freezing you'd have to reset the interface for it to start working again.
STAXX
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by STAXX »

I don't get it. I have never been able to use the physical volume control on this unit. I've upgraded the software on the computers I've used it with and even done an update to the firmware on the unit itself. No matter what DAW, no matter what OS, the master volume just doesn't work. I push the volume knob, go to the main out, turn the volume knob (I can see the volume on the little green screen change) and nothing...nada...zilch! The unit is at full volume, distorts the audio coming out of it and threatens to blow up any PA it's jacked into.
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by 4stripes »

STAXX wrote:The unit is at full volume, distorts the audio coming out of it and threatens to blow up any PA it's jacked into.
You haven't selected that output to be a monitor output in CueMix.