Cannot play this audio file through a MOTU interface!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
signal
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Cannot play this audio file through a MOTU interface!

Post by signal »

I have a MOTU 828mkII connected via Firewire to my Macbook Pro running OSX 10.7.5

I have the latest updates from both MOTU and Apple, as well as latest available firmware update for the 828mkII.

I can think of no problems with the 828mkII, I use it with my Reason 6.5, Synths, Drum Machines, etc..........except this very strange issue!

There is a realplayer file that will NOT play if I have my mac set to use the MOTU 828 for Audio Output! If I set the Macbook (regular System Preferences->Sound) to output via internal speakers the file plays fine. If I use the MOTU, I just get like garbled white noise/digital sounding sound.

I hate realplayer, but this file is in realplayer format (using Cook, VB40 codec) and so I have no choice.

Here is a link to one of the files, try it on your MOTU and please let me know if it works, or only works via internal like mine does:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14091323/intro.rm

Does anyone have any ideas? Other files, like mp3's etc seem to play no problem through the 828, its very weird, why would this group of realplayer files not work?

The realplayer files are the video instruction manual that come with the Kurzweil K2600, there are 11 files and they all use the same codec and have the same issue.

Thanks in advance for any help you wizards can give!
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Cannot play this audio file through a MOTU interface!

Post by Phil O »

I hate Realplayer. Always problems, always issues. I usually avoid Realplayer files when possible, but if I absolutely need to use one I convert it using Kigo video converter:
http://www.kigo-video-converter.com/

There's a freeware version somewhere on the page that doesn't have all the bells and whistles but will convert .rm files. That might or might not correct the problem you have with this file, but it's worth a try. I got your file to play on my system, but I don't have my 828 hooked up at the moment. Sounds like a clocking issue.

Even if it doesn't fix the audio, saving it as an avi or mp4 allows you to work with it in Quicktime where you have more options. Good luck.

BTW. I had a similar issue with an old version of Finale. The Export to Audio produced AIFF files that were fine, but WAV files that were 44.100001KHz or something like that. The only way to get them to play in DP was to Convert Sample Rate and correct it to 44.1K, yet quicktime played the files fine. Go figure.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I don't have the Realplayer app on any of my macs, and don't want to install it. VLC sometimes plays .rm files, but it won't play this one.

I notice that the Realplayer all says it will convert to MP3. Perhaps you could try that, and then play the MP3 file instead.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
signal
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by signal »

bayswater, RealPlayers own "converter" says it can't convert this file, lol.

Probably because of the codec "Cook, RV40".

Its no big deal, you know I searched youtube and someone has uploaded these tutorial files, so saves me the trouble. But as a technical exercise, I just find it odd that a sound file won't play when I set audio to 828 vs internal speaker..........

Realplayer for OSX installs and removes cleanly btw, if there is anyone who figures this out, please post here, since likely if there is one type of file that may not play through an 828, there are probably others so other people may run into this. Now I do realize that 99.99% of all files will play fine, this is a rare bird indeed, but a curious one.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Well, first, the format of the audio file will have no effect on whether it will play on any particular audio interface. The formats are all dealt with by the player applications. All the 828 or any other interface does is convert a digital signal to analog so you can hear it.

Are you sure realplayer is addressing the output pair on the 828 that you are monitoring? Some simply players can only make use of the first two analog outputs. On the 828 the default outputs are often channel 9 and 10.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Sometimes I get files from other studios that won't load into DP. I use QuickTime Pro to convert them to another format. This rewrites the header - the audio is unchanged.

If you have a QT Pro v.6/v.7 key for Mac, it works fine in OS 10.6/7/8. You must install QT 7.6.6 in the Utilities Folder so that it doesn't conflict with v.10.1 in your Applications. v7.6.6 is found in the Extras folder for SL, Lion, ML installers and is also downloadable from Apple.

I have never heard of an audio file that crashed an interfce, however.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Mikssa

Post by Mikssa »

The way for me to play iTunes audios on android tablet is to use a DRM removal tool first. We know all iTunes audios are combined with fairplay DRM protection, it can be played on Apple devices only. If you are eager to enjoy these audios on non-Apple devices, you have to get rip of DRM protection at first. iTunes DRM Audios Converter is such a program for you to convert iTunes audios from M4P to MP3 at 30x faster speed with lossless quality.