Firewire-Thunderbolt Adapter Support?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
analogcabin
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Firewire-Thunderbolt Adapter Support?

Post by analogcabin »

Hi.
I read one post here stating it was working, yet after checking with MOTU, they said it's not supported.
Will we see a new driver officially making the Apple branded FW-TB adapter work?

Presonus, Apogee, RME, Metric Halo all work.......

Thanks
roryh
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Firewire-Thunderbolt Adapter Support?

Post by roryh »

not sure on this one but i would also like to know. especially in regards to the motu 8 pre as i love my device but would also like to upgrade to a new mac. is there a way of linking the 8 pre that has firewire 400 to thunderbolt? can you daisy chain the firewwire 400 to 800 to thunderbolt?

the review of the apple adaptor linked below says that it doest work, but i can't find any other news on the web. -- http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD464ZM/A

any help would be greatly appreciated.
analogcabin

Post by analogcabin »

Very soon...... provided we don't upgrade Macs, we'll all need this functionality.
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

analogcabin wrote:Hi.
I read one post here stating it was working, yet after checking with MOTU, they said it's not supported.
Will we see a new driver officially making the Apple branded FW-TB adapter work?

Thanks
Well !!!! I was planning to buy the new iMac grrrrrrrrrr!
I do not want to spend another $3000.00 for a thunderbolt audio interface ;-(
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

analogcabin wrote:Hi.

Thanks
Hello all! I read on the Apple Thunderbolt cable site that some individuals use it with MOTU and others audio interfaces with no problems !!!!!!!!
Anyone here can talk about this?
Last edited by Aramis on Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
PJ

Post by PJ »

My good old 828mkII is connected to rMBP via Thunderbolt-Firewire800 adapter (thru Lacie Rugged FW400/800hd). Working great.
PTHDN(TB)/OMNI / DP8 ** Post Production **
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

PJ wrote:My good old 828mkII is connected to rMBP via Thunderbolt-Firewire800 adapter (thru Lacie Rugged FW400/800hd). Working great.
Thanks
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have not heard of any problems except with bus power. The Apple adapter supplies only 7V, not nearly enough for most bus powered devices. This means that external power or a powered FW hub is essential for those situations. This shouldn't be an issue for desktop computers but could cause problems in the field.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Agent of Random

Post by Agent of Random »

I've used it with my Traveler and it seems to work fine with DC power.

BTW MOTU saying they don't support it doesn't mean it won't work...it basically just means they won't help you trouble-shoot it if something doesn't go right with it.
catch222
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by catch222 »

Can anybody confirm if the 8Pre works with Macbook Pro + Thunderbolt adapter?

The answer I got from MOTU is:

"The 8Pre is not compatible with Thunderbolt adapters. The 8Pre requires a native Firewire port in order to connect to the computer."

Thanks
Shapednoise

Post by Shapednoise »

Works for about 2 mins here when first selected, then my 828 mk 2 goes silent (feels like some sort of clocking issue.
iMac i7 mavericks and appleTB / FW adapter.

Really hoping its a driver issue and MOTU come to the party.

Currently running the optical out from iMac it optical in on 828 as interface. But obviously stereo only and no inputs available.
iMac
Intel Core i7 3.5 GHz
Memory: 16 GB
OSX10.9.1
Logic X
Reason 6.5
other junk
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Shapednoise wrote:Works for about 2 mins here when first selected, then my 828 mk 2 goes silent (feels like some sort of clocking issue.

Currently running the optical out from iMac it optical in on 828 as interface. But obviously stereo only and no inputs available.
Something's not right. iMacs with TB and Apple TB monitors have FW ports that behave exactly like the Apple TB-FW adapters. In other words, the FW conversion is done after TB.

My 828mkII works in those situations.

Please update your signature to include your hardware and configuration. I'm trying to figure out what you have that has both TB and optical in but not FW.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
indeedappleseed

Post by indeedappleseed »

Having the similar issues with an Audio Express into an i7 iMac (2 days old) running Mavericks. Bought the FW800/TB adaptor and I'm getting a squeal then total dropout anywhere between 30 seconds and a minute. Did some experimenting to find that opening and closing high-powered programs (Final Cut Pro, Screen Flow, even Chrome) sets it off.

Have even tried connecting via USB which is more solid/doesn't drop out but I'm still getting the squealing and something that sounds like a power spike through the system. I'm literally left with running the Audio Express as a playback router (headphone out of iMac, through AE and into my monitors - no connection to the Mac, just DC power).

Firmware and driver updates seem to do bugger all.

Are we all in agreeance it's just a driver issue?
iMac (late 2013) 27" | 3.5 GHz Intel i7 | 8GB RAM | 3TB Fusion Drive | OSX Mavericks (10.9.1)
MOTU Audio Express | Pro Tools 10.6 | Final Cut Pro X | Screen Flow 4
Shapednoise

Post by Shapednoise »

mikehalloran wrote:
Shapednoise wrote:Works for about 2 mins here when first selected, then my 828 mk 2 goes silent (feels like some sort of clocking issue.

Something's not right. iMacs with TB and Apple TB monitors have FW ports that behave exactly like the Apple TB-FW adapters. In other words, the FW conversion is done after TB.

My 828mkII works in those situations.

Please update your signature to include your hardware and configuration. I'm trying to figure out what you have that has both TB and optical in but not FW.
TB to FW800 adapter to 800:400 adapter to FWin on MOTU.
Fails. So then… imac audio out the headphone/line/digital (optical) to optical in on 828.
iMac
Intel Core i7 3.5 GHz
Memory: 16 GB
OSX10.9.1
Logic X
Reason 6.5
other junk
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Bizarre, I read recently that TB includes the FW800 protocol natively (just as it does display port and a few other protocols), so why would it act any differently?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy