Firewire-Thunderbolt Adapter Support?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
dosuna11
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Firewire-Thunderbolt Adapter Support?

Post by dosuna11 »

I purchased a cheap TB to FW 400 for My iMac Quadcore from OWC. My 828MK II runs great with it. Think I paid $7.95?
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
zoby69

Post by zoby69 »

Hello

I'm using a motu 8pre for several years and i've just bought a new macbook pro 15' which have no firewire input.

So i tried to use it with a mac thunderbolt/firewire adapter plus a cable firewire 800/400.

It doesn't work the sound is messed with a high frequence distortion.

I use the latest MOTU driver with Yosemite OS on the mac.

Can you help me to find a solution ?

Are you sure i can use my MOTU 8pre with my new macbook ?

Thank you verymuch (sorry for my english i'm french).

Riad KLAÏ
riad_klai@yahoo.fr
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

Bonjour , j'ai peut-être mal compris mais la 8pre est un interface usb , non ?
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
zoby69

Post by zoby69 »

Bonjour

Non la Motu 8pre n'a pas de connexion USB, il n'y a que le firewire.

Y faut vraiment que je trouve une solution parceque je ne peux plus travailer et je n'ai plus de thunes pour racheter une nouvelle carte son.

Si quelqu'un a des infos, merci de me faire signe !
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

zoby69 wrote:Bonjour

Non la Motu 8pre n'a pas de connexion USB, il n'y a que le firewire.

Y faut vraiment que je trouve une solution parceque je ne peux plus travailer et je n'ai plus de thunes pour racheter une nouvelle carte son.

Si quelqu'un a des infos, merci de me faire signe !
J'étais confu car sur le site de MOTU, il ne parle plus de la 8pre firewire .....

Est-ce que tout est bien sélectionné au point de vue de la synchro ?

Ce que vous décrivez ressemble à un problème de synchro!

Pour ma part , j'utilise une 828mk3 sur un iMac avec l'adaptateur firewire à thunderbolt et ça fonctionne très bien.
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Aramis wrote: J'étais confu car sur le site de MOTU, il ne parle plus de la 8pre firewire .....
The site mentions 8Pre and 8Pre USB. There might have been an earlier version that had FW, although the online documentation only refers to the 8Pre USB. The 4Pre has FW and USB.

And yes, it sounds like a sync error.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The original 8pre was FireWire only.

I remember an old post that stated these did not work with the TB-FW adapter. Ahhh... Found it:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... lt#p439626

Can anybody confirm if the 8Pre works with Macbook Pro + Thunderbolt adapter?

The answer I got from MOTU is

"The 8Pre is not compatible with Thunderbolt adapters. The 8Pre requires a native Firewire port in order to connect to the computer."

Thunderbolt does not support the entire FireWire spec. Apparently, the original 8pre uses a part of the spec not supported by TB. In such situations, the adapter cannot work.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
glenesis

Post by glenesis »

I have 2 original 8pre units. They are wall powered. They are FireWire 400 only. I had a session recently and had the squealing problem. It happened running DP 9 with the latest audio system drivers on a mid-2007 MacBook Pro. The OS version is Mavericks 10.9.5. After reading this thread, I am wondering whether the Thunderbolt adapter is really an issue. I think it more likely that if you get a squeal, the wiring is fine but the driver is wonky. I'm going to do more testing when I have a chance. My mom has Mini with a TB port. I'll try to score a TB>FW adapter, and see if I can find a working setup. I love my 8pres. I hope they'll work with newer Macs!