Ultralite Main Vol knob/encoder not working

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Patrick_Bear
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Ultralite Main Vol knob/encoder not working

Post by Patrick_Bear »

I actually don't use the physical encoder a lot but I tried last night and turning it clockwise the gain indicator kept going down until it was off and I couldn't get it to move after that. I eventually mostly fixed the issue sort of--I was able to get the volume up but I don't have a lot of confidence in using the encoder because it still seems a little shaky. I tried two things and wasn't scientific enough at the time to be sure which helped. I had installed Logmein on this iMac and that installs an audio driver. I removed that driver. I also performed a hardware reset.

My questions: Anyone else had this issue with the encoder? Is this potentially strictly a hardware issue? If it's hardware can encoders be cleaned like pots by opening the case and spraying in some contact cleaner.

Thanks,
Patrick_Bear

Re: Ultralite Main Vol knob/encoder not working

Post by Patrick_Bear »

FWIW, my "fixes" didn't last long so my Main Vol knob is toast. Fortunately I found that you can assign the knob to other outputs so I just assigned it to the spdif out which I don't use. I don't really need the hardware knob for what I do so I will just use the Logic levels to control the Main Outs which I assume are at unity gain.
tripo

Re: Ultralite Main Vol knob/encoder not working

Post by tripo »

Yep, it would be great if somebody knew what could help!..
Mine vol. knob does not function properly . It functions as a button, but rotating it doesn't do it's work , apart of the initialising the proper subview on the display. ( only once- the first time after reboot - then again , NOTHING).
I think of cleaning it or something ,but this seems strange ,as i don't use these knobs very often.
What could possibly go wrong - those knobs ( one of the input gain's knobs died on me the same way as well just this week ) , those knobs must be like brand new. What sort of malfunction is that !?!?!?