828 mkII volume knob default behavior

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
CQ7String
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828 mkII volume knob default behavior

Post by CQ7String »

Hi folks,

My apologies if this isn't the right forum for this - I'm running on OSX, but it's more of a general question. I have an 828 mkII, and the default behavior for the volume knob is to adjust the output of the headphones. To adjust the master output (which goes to my monitors) I have to tap the button once to get it into "Main" mode.

It's not a big deal, but occasionally (We've all done it..) I'll have some_level set too high before hitting play, and I'll have to make the dive over to the interface to turn the volume down.

I don't use the front headphone jack at all, and would love to know if there's a way to set the volume knob so that it always controls the Main output without having to push it once to switch modes. Is this possible?

Cheers!
HCMarkus

Re: 828 mkII volume knob default behavior

Post by HCMarkus »

I used to tweez my monitor volume by reaching (or diving, if necessary) for the squirely lil' front panel knob on my 828mkII. I never knew if I'd be adjusting the cans or my monitors. Now, I control my volume right from my desk with a monitor controller, and my workflow is much improved.

A long way of saying, i don't know the direct answer to your question CQ7, but encourage you to consider adding a monitor controller to your rig. Mine is the inexpensive but effective Presonus Monitor Station. I like it a lot for volume control and speaker switching, plus each of its four headphone amps blow the 828's single anemic amp out of the water.

And it's all right at my fingertips. I haven't touched the 828 volume knob for several years.
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

Don't know what your OS or driver version is, but the latest version of the driver for the 828mk3 allows you to control the volume from the keyboard volume keys. Don't know if this was extended to the mkII, but if so, you can pull down the volume quickly. Also, for whatever reason, the mute key doesn't work (though I think it did at one time).
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

Just checked for a new version of the drivers and one became available 5/2. Use of the core audio controls is now an option in MOTU Audio Setup rather than default and the mute key is now working.

I thought I edited this a while but, but apparently not. the mute key does not work for my 828mk3 - just the volume up/down. Maybe in the next driver release.
Last edited by NazRat on Fri May 18, 2012 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
CQ7String

Post by CQ7String »

Thank you very much all!

I didn't realize there was a new driver - being able to control it with the keyboard softkeys is fantastic - that's even better than what I was originally looking for, haha.

Cheers! Much appreciated. :)