PCIe 424 + Thunderbolt adapter?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Splinter
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: PCIe 424 + Thunderbolt adapter?

Post by Splinter »

If you're still pissed how MOTU handled the PCI interfaces and want an AudioWire to Thunderbolt Bridge, sign the petition here: https://www.change.org/p/motu-product-s ... m=copylink
MacBook Pro Quad 2.4GHz i7 • 10.12 • 16G RAM • DP 9 • MOTU 896HD Hybrid, Apogee Duet, & MOTU Micro Lite MIDI interface • Waves Platinum, Studio Classics Collection, Abbey Road, etc... • Fabfilter Pro-Q2 • Soundtoys FX • IK Amplitube 3, Ampeg, and TRacks 3 • Altiverb 7 • Slate Digital Everything Bundle • Stylus RMX • Komplete 10 • SampleTank 3 • Arturia V Collection • M-Audio Axiom 49
bralston
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bralston »

Splinter wrote:If you're still pissed how MOTU handled the PCI interfaces and want an AudioWire to Thunderbolt Bridge, sign the petition here: https://www.change.org/p/motu-product-s ... m=copylink
While I appreciate the point of legacy support that petition is trying to make...what it is asking for is pretty much impossible. Thunderbolt usage is a highly regulated and expensively licensed thing from Intel. The cost of such a device would probably be more than just buying a new device with Thunderbolt. Technology moves. I would consider one's self lucky to not be one of the Avid Pro Tools HD|3 adopters who has tens of thousands invested in those PCIe hardware cards and there is zero path going forward for them. The cost of doing business is not cheap and if we want to adopt newer technologies in our businesses, we must continually invest in our infrastructure to do so. Meanwhile....as long as a PCIe 424 card is functioning as intended, it is not obsolete any more. And there are a variety of PCI-Thunderbolt expansion boxes on the market from Magma and others where older PCI cards can be put to interface with newer Thunderbolt only machines. It is kind of beside the point anyway and Apple begins to move away from Thunderbolt and now onto USB-C. Such is technology.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Gravity Jim »

My 12-core 3.33ghz aluminum MacPro still has PCIe slots, interfaces with all my old USB and FW stuff, contains over 3Tb of SSDs, and will smoke all but the very fastest trash-can MacPro.

So this is still a non-issue. You want a new Mac? Buy a new interface.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]