Ultralite mkIII loses FW connection

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
micihch
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Ultralite mkIII loses FW connection

Post by micihch »

I've got a strange problem since about 2 weeks:

my Ultralite mkIII drops the audio after about 30 seconds (I'm currently using it for system audio output only, choosing it with alt+click from the Volume slider in the Finder).

iTunes for example stops playing (transport bar stops) when this happens.
Movies in VLC don't stop but no audio output after about 30 seconds.

After about another 30 seconds the audio returns, and then drops again, and then returns, and then...

When this hanging occurs I get a spinning ball of death in cue mix

I checked the FW-cable and even connected the Motu Power Supply to the Ultralite because I thought it might be a power problem...but no help.

I get the following messages in the Console:

07.04.12 01:12:27.052 MOTU Audio Setup: kCGErrorInvalidConnection: CGSGetWindowTags: Invalid connection
07.04.12 01:12:27.052 MOTU Audio Setup: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

And for CueMix:

07.04.12 01:34:57.105 CueMix FX: kCGErrorInvalidConnection: CGSGetWindowTags: Invalid connection
07.04.12 01:34:57.105 CueMix FX: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
07.04.12 01:35:45.822 CueMix FX: kCGErrorInvalidConnection: CGSGetWindowTags: Invalid connection
07.04.12 01:35:45.823 CueMix FX: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

My system is an iMac Core 2 duo with Lion 10.7.3 and 4GB Ram.

Thanks for any hints!
(I get the feeling that this is a Lion problem, wished I never upgraded from SnowLeopard...)
MacBook pro m1 Max, 32GB Ram
DP 11
Motu M4
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Ultralite mkIII loses FW connection

Post by mikehalloran »

There are too many running Lion without this problem.

Have you updated to the latest drivers?

Have you logged a tech support case on this? If there is old software causing a conflict, MOTU will likely know.

Apple has released a number of patches in the last few weeks - some yesterday. Make sure that everything is up to date.

My gut says that you have a FW issue. Certain MacBooks and PowerBooks are becoming notorious for this.

Re-set the PRAM. This has fixed FW issues for many - myself included.

Get rid of duplicate fonts by using FontBook.app - it takes a few seconds. You would be surprised how many things run better in SL and Lion when you do - including DP, Finale and Word.

Do update your signature to tell us what you are running. This helps us narrow our guesswork on things like this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
micihch

Post by micihch »

Thanks, had to send it to support, suddenly the Param Knob wasn't functioning anymore.
Hope that this is somehow related to the connection problems, because I really tried everything (OK, a complete reinstall of the OS would be the last thing to try).

Mike
(the sig is still up to date)
DP 11
Motu M4
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

What happened when you reset the PRAM?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
micihch

Post by micihch »

Didn't help.
When I tried to reset the Ultralite I realized that the
Param knob didn't work (pressing function worked, but turning
the knob had no effect).
I sent it to the local support (I'm in Europe), I'll post the result.
Thanks for the support!
DP 11
Motu M4
micihch

Post by micihch »

Got a new Ultralite from Support!
Hope it will work like before (no FW connection dropouts)...
DP 11
Motu M4
chupsie
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by chupsie »

PARAM knob didn't work (pressing function worked, but turning the knob had no effect).
This is interesting. My ultralite is juuust beyond the warranty period and I just discovered that I'm having the same issue, so I can't get to any settings beyond the first page or even put the interface into USB mode and I have a big gig in less than 3 weeks… :cry:
How fast does MOTU usually resolve things like that in the US? :mumble:
Is there a way to possibly fix this yourself? :smash:

P.S. Interestingly enough, turning the PARAM knob works exactly once after booting up the interface and then stops to.