Controlling Cuemix FX and outputpairs?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
FantomXR
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Controlling Cuemix FX and outputpairs?

Post by FantomXR »

Hey people,

I'm new in this forum and I have two questions.

1.) Is it possible to change the outputpairs to mono or do I have to work with stereo pairs? In live situation this could be difficult if I need more than four wegdes. If no, is there a workaround for it?

2.) I read much about it and it seems that it's not possible, but I'm just asking: Is it possible to control the in cuemix integrated effects like limiter, compressor, eq and reverb with a remote control? (BCF / BCR or anything else) Or do you know, if cuemix reacts on some MIDI CCs, so I can program a MIDI controller?

Thanks very much for your answers!

Chris
rodger1811
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Controlling Cuemix FX and outputpairs?

Post by rodger1811 »

Yes you can use it in mono. Just press the button tight above the channel that you want to change. Also, make sure that you have the latest version.
Mid 2012 Mac Pro 12 Core 2.4GHz, 24G RAM, OSX 10.8.2, DP 8.01
4x2 TB Hard Drives
APOGEE Symphony
MOTU 2408 mk3
MOTU HD192/Black Lion Modified
MOTU 24I/Ox2
MOTU MIDI Timepiece
Universal Audio UAD-2 Quad x 2
Universal Audio (Entire Plugin Library)
Waves Mercury+ Studio Classics
Tons of other goodies; to many to mention here
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

What interface? I don't have it in front of me to check for absolutely sure, but with my 828mk3 you have to work with output pairs (no mono) if you're working in CueMix FX. You can use mix buses and pan hard left/right to get mono mixes to the individual outputs.

As far as the remote control of effects, I haven't heard of anything.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
FantomXR

Post by FantomXR »

rodger1811 wrote:Yes you can use it in mono. Just press the button tight above the channel that you want to change. Also, make sure that you have the latest version.
Hey,

I can choose between mono and stereo input, but not on the outputs... I have the latest version of cuemix and of the firmware.

@NazRat: Sorry, I forgot to tell u. I have an ultralite mk3. I will do the workaround with mainstage and routing through busses and hard panning. Would be nice, if there is a "native" solution.
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

In your original post, you asked about CueMix and stereo pairs. DAW software ala DP, Logic, etc. can address the individual outputs (mono) without having to pan and use CueMix mix buses. If you're having to work with stereo pairs in Mainstage, that's a limitation of Mainstage and not CueMix or the hardware.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

NazRat wrote:In your original post, you asked about CueMix and stereo pairs. DAW software ala DP, Logic, etc. can address the individual outputs (mono) without having to pan and use CueMix mix buses. If you're having to work with stereo pairs in Mainstage, that's a limitation of Mainstage and not CueMix or the hardware.
Re : live situations,
DP can not route multiples of an input ( direct hardware playthru in mk3 boxes )
to several outputs...( be they mono or stereo )
would be nice if the aux could *reach* the other mixbuses of mk3 interfaces,

just like a mixing board
:mrgreen:

Klaus
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

In that scenario, I would use sends. Routing to multiple outs would be a nice feature (ala PT), so maybe it's in the works somewhere down the line.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Ooops,
I meant the sends, not the aux...
:oops:
and yes, Cuemix FX should be *built into* DP

Klaus
TauTau
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by TauTau »

NazRat wrote:What interface? I don't have it in front of me to check for absolutely sure, but with my 828mk3 you have to work with output pairs (no mono) if you're working in CueMix FX. You can use mix buses and pan hard left/right to get mono mixes to the individual outputs.

That sounds interesting. I'm in exactly the same situation, needing 5 mixes with only 4 stereo pairs. So how would I setup 5 busses to get the different outputs? I can't imagine that right now, since i.e. Out 1&2 would have to have different levels of the same 5 signals on each side (1+2), so that on 1 I have a different mix than on 2.
narrenschip

Post by narrenschip »

TauTau wrote: That sounds interesting. I'm in exactly the same situation, needing 5 mixes with only 4 stereo pairs. So how would I setup 5 busses to get the different outputs? I can't imagine that right now, since i.e. Out 1&2 would have to have different levels of the same 5 signals on each side (1+2), so that on 1 I have a different mix than on 2.
(Yes I know this is an old thread, but I had the same question myself (mono-mixes with Cuemix FX) and 'the google' lead me to this page)

You can set different levels for L(mix-A) and R(mix-B) by balancing the fader and the pan knob:
if mix-B (R) needs a bit more of input 1, you would put the fader of input 1 up and turn the pan knob to the right to compensate for the increase in volume in mix-A (L).
This might be tricky in a live situation, but if you have time to set up everything in advance it should work fine.

To avoid this balancing act in a live situation, I'll probably add a 8-in/8-out ADAT interface (Behringer ADA8200) to my traveller mk3. This will give me 4 extra stereo outputs (and 8 extra mic/line inputs).

W;-)
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

TauTau wrote:
NazRat wrote:What interface? I don't have it in front of me to check for absolutely sure, but with my 828mk3 you have to work with output pairs (no mono) if you're working in CueMix FX. You can use mix buses and pan hard left/right to get mono mixes to the individual outputs.

That sounds interesting. I'm in exactly the same situation, needing 5 mixes with only 4 stereo pairs. So how would I setup 5 busses to get the different outputs? I can't imagine that right now, since i.e. Out 1&2 would have to have different levels of the same 5 signals on each side (1+2), so that on 1 I have a different mix than on 2.
That my friend will 'eat' CPU

Best

Klaus
TauTau
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by TauTau »

I'm using exactly this. Though each bus has to be assigned a out-pair. With the 828mk3 you can have 5, since phones is accessible as separate out. mk2 only 4 busses. And it doesn't eat any cpu here...
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Klaus wrote:
TauTau wrote:

That my friend will 'eat' CPU

Best

Klaus
ohhps

I was replying to the wrong post, actually replying to...

...(Yes I know this is an old thread, but I had the same question myself (mono-mixes with Cuemix FX) and 'the google' lead me to this page)

You can set different levels for L(mix-A) and R(mix-B) by balancing the fader and the pan knob:
if mix-B (R) needs a bit more of input 1, you would put the fader of input 1 up and turn the pan knob to the right to compensate for the increase in volume in mix-A (L).
This might be tricky in a live situation, but if you have time to set up everything in advance it should work fine.

To avoid this balancing act in a live situation, I'll probably add a 8-in/8-out ADAT interface (Behringer ADA8200) to my traveller mk3. This will give me 4 extra stereo outputs (and 8 extra mic/line inputs).

W;-)

and using ADAT i/o does eat CPU

sorry and
best
Klaus
narrenschip

Post by narrenschip »

Klaus wrote:

Klaus
I wouldn't expect that. Can you elaborate?

As I understand, the PC/Laptop is only controlling the audio interface with CueMix Fx. There's actual no audio transfer to/from the PC/laptop. Adding ADAT pre-amps to the audio interface doesn't change that.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

narrenschip wrote:
Klaus wrote:

Klaus
I wouldn't expect that. Can you elaborate?

As I understand, the PC/Laptop is only controlling the audio interface with CueMix Fx. There's actual no audio transfer to/from the PC/laptop. Adding ADAT pre-amps to the audio interface doesn't change that.
You can watch the CPU meter going up when enabling ADAT...in Motu Audio Setup
If you enable ADAT A and B - In and Out, you may run into trouble enabling a lot of EQ / Dynamics
Best
Klaus