Lion vs. Ultralite = White Noise!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
rasmoose
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Lion vs. Ultralite = White Noise!

Post by rasmoose »

@lorenzomusic: have you tried to switch off wifi on your Mac? It seems that this is causing the issue. Please report back if it works :)
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Phil O »

It hasn't worked for me. Same problem with wifi on or off.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
lorenzomusic

Post by lorenzomusic »

@rasmoose: no, i haven't tried that yet. it sounds a bit voodoo but i will try anyway after christmas and let you know :)

another thing: after the factory reset of my 828mkII, the MIDI device for it was missing in lion. i had to uninstall, reboot amd reinstall the driver package for it to come back. i feel like i'm back to "good" old winxp times...
maxthedog

Post by maxthedog »

I'm still on Snow Leopard and I have this problem. White noise that is sudden and unrelentingly, painfully loud. My ears are still ringing from the damage done!

I'll try switching off wifi in the meanwhile. The problem is intermittent, though, so this is a bit of a hassle to debug - was hoping that MOTU would have formally addressed this thread by now - Driver, OS, or hardware, I'd like to get this fixed or I'm left with choosing another interface to save what hearing I've got left.
Bjorn

Post by Bjorn »

I think its time to give it up.It seems like Motu dont bother fixing a first generation problem. I never buy a Motu again because i dont find it seriously enough when this happens with a rather expensive soundcard. Particularly when the only answer they give is that there are no known problems to this matter.I have even given them a thread to this forum to show them that this is an issue
rasmoose

Post by rasmoose »

All with the issue: Have you tried to install all Lion updates from Apple?

Here's the deal for me at the moment: I have installed all updates for Lion (also the latest wifi-update) - since that I have not experienced the issue. Off course I can't be completely sure that it is a sure fix because it's not possible to reproduce the error with certain user actions. But, please try update Lion and report back if it works.

Yes, I agree: MOTU's handling of this issue is not something to be impressed by. Even if it's an OS-thing, I think MOTU should have at least recognized the issue and investigated the cause. Based on the experiences I will not buy another MOTU device or recommend MOTU devices.
perzival

Post by perzival »

have you ever tried opening the interface and clicking the hard reset button found inside?

Also updates, disk permissions, newest drivers, etc.
johnsbaker

Post by johnsbaker »

Not seeing the problem here using an Ultralite mk3 (Firewire only, not hybrid), running under Lion 10.7.3.

Have we isolated this to an Ultralite model and OS version number? Also, running along with a specific DAW? On a specific computer? For example, I used to experience this exact same problem running the Ultralite with MainStage 2.1 on OS 10.6.8, all running on a MacBook Core Duo! Now that I have Lion and MainStage 2.2.1 running on a Mac Mini Server, the noise problem has vanished.
Bjorn

Post by Bjorn »

Strange things happens ! The same day i got the response from rasmoose i got the wifi-upgrade on my machine and as far as today, some days later ,the whitenoise have not appeared !!! Ups... while i write this response it came to mind that i have not tried turning on the wifi again because i have used a solid core after i got suspicious. I will give a new response when the wifi have been tested for a while.
Bjorn

Post by Bjorn »

After the last Wifi-uppgrade from apple my system has been working well for two days with both the bluetooth and wifi activated. No whitenoise! Seems like the problem has been solved ! :-)
Hope its the same for everybody !
dannil10

Post by dannil10 »

Please forgive me if I'm stating something obviously ineffective, as I admit to not having read this entire thread, but I would like to share my experiences with the Traveler and a Mac Mini running Lion FWIW, just in case this is a related problem: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 57#p421302
juan_alexei

Post by juan_alexei »

I'm having that kind of issues here since I've upgraded to Lion. Suddenly, no out and sometimes a high pitched noise.
I have a Motu traveller mk3, a 2006 MacBook pro and some disks connected on the firewire bus as well, It looks that it's more likely to happen under heavy processor load.

To restore, I have to restart the interface, I had some success killing CoreAudiod process but it's not always sufficient.
herold

Post by herold »

I had the same problem from time to time:
white noise appears directly after starting the MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid or after a few seconds connected to my MBP (late 2011) under Lion. And it doesn´t matter if it was connected with FW or USB - bus powered or not - it was really irregular appearing and it seems impossible to delete this annoying defect :banghead: . On the lcd of the mk3 the sample rate was flickering. It seems to me that the mk3 wasn´t booting right or something like this .
I was searching in different forums and no one had an answer.
But in this forum I found the idea about the wlan very noticeable.

I know my mobile phone (nokia n8) has a very aggressive wlan connectivity and disturbs other systems (also older MacBooks) if they try to connect to the internet. I turned the wlan on my mobile phone off and guess what happened? The white noise disappeared and it works like it should.
For me it was the solution. :woohoo:
MBP late 2011 - Lion - Motu Ultralite Mk3 hybrid - never change a running system
gjensse

Post by gjensse »

I have the same problem with my UltraLite mk3. The noise disappeared when I turned off the wi-fi.
Mac Mini 2020, OSX 13.6, DP 11, UVI Falcon, MOTU 16A, MOTU 8A, MOTU UltraLite AVB.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

OS 10.7 had major problems with FireWire, WIFI, Bluetooth, printing and scanning. These weren't fixed properly until 10.8.2.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro