Lion vs. Ultralite = White Noise!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
DeMoloy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Lion vs. Ultralite = White Noise!

Post by DeMoloy »

I have used some time (very frustrated) and testing to get a way the white noise problem I have had since I updated to Lion (MacOS 10.7). What I did is the following:

1. Runed MacKeeper
2. Manually uninstalled driver.
3. Installed driver.
4. Changed the sample rate to 48.000, and problem solved!

- dagfinn

iMac 2,8 GHz Intel Core Duo i7
8 GB memory
MacOS 10.7 Lion
MOTU UltraLite mk 1
Finale 2011
Apple Logic Pro 9.1
rasmoose
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by rasmoose »

Thanks for posting this.

All that have the issue, please make sure to report it to MOTU technical support. In that way I think we have a better chance to be taken seriously.

There seems to be a pattern here:

All users with the issue have the combination: iMac, first generation UltraLite and Mac OS X Lion.

Unfortunately I haven't had the time to continue troubleshoot.

BR

.R
DeMoloy

Post by DeMoloy »

Hi BR!

I've send the information to MOTU support.

- dagfinn
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

rasmoose wrote:
All users with the issue have the combination: iMac, first generation UltraLite and Mac OS X Lion.
I just got a new MBP and hooked it up to my original 828. I'm experiencing the same problem with this setup. The 828 works fine with the same driver on my Mac Pros ( OS 10.6.8 ). Got a feeling it's a lion thing.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Bjorn

Post by Bjorn »

Hello again.
I have done one reply on the whitenoise according to using bluetooth or Wifi.
It looks like my Ultralite function well for hours if I have the Wifi and Bluetooth off.
Every time I then turn the wifi and bluetooth on, the noise starts to develop again.
I haven't found out exactly if there are a combination of the two or not that starts the
noise. Could You try it out and give a response on this matter. Sorry for my bad english!
One more thing : the distributor in Norway (Prolyd) said to me that Motu is working on a new universal driver!

Bjorn
Waves

Post by Waves »

Hi Bjorn,
Maybe it's firmware related? Have you tried updating to the latest (v 1.15)?

~Waves
Bjorn

Post by Bjorn »

I have the latest firmware .
Someone shecked the bluetooth/WiFi matter ?
(Read my previous post)
rasmoose

Post by rasmoose »

@Bjorn: Sure, I will try your suggestions. I tried shortly to turn wi-fi and bluetooth off and the issue was there anyway, but I didn't do this after a restart. When I have the time I will give you a message.

Regarding the new driver: I don't think MOTU will address this issue before they have accepted it to be a driver issue. At the moment it does not seem to be the case.
monday1313

Post by monday1313 »

I'm having a similar problem with my 896HD, macro w/ 10.7.2 and latest motu driver and DP 7.24. Mine just makes some clicking sounds and a high pitched whine. I have a separate disk with snow leopard on it and it works fine there. Tried re-installing everything, and it still won't work. I have posted a tech link over a month ago and it still hasn't been read...I don't have wifi or bluetooth hardware on this computer at all.

When I slide the balance all the way to the right, the mute button checks in system preferences/sound tab.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I ran into the problem again last night. I turned off wi-fi and ethernet then re-booted. The problem did not go away. I am, however, using the ADAT optical on the 828. Anyone else with this problem using optical I/O?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
android23

Post by android23 »

I'm having the same issue here on my first generation MOTU UltraLite. This is what I've found so far:

1) The issue only presents itself when wi-fi is turned on. Bluetooth does not seem to affect the unit on my computer (iMac mid-2010).
2) A clean installation of Lion and driver install makes no difference.
3) Using the unit on my laptop (early 2009 MacBook) with wi-fi and Bluetooth running does not freak out the UltraLite.
4) 10.7.2 seems to have improved the issue, but it still happens, though not as often.

It seems to be something regarding the wi-fi, at least in this case. I saw my wi-fi drop on the iMac, followed immediately by MOTO freakout.

-=Andrew=-
British33

Post by British33 »

I had the same issue with my 828 mkii, and the solution is rather simple, I am sure you can apply this to your Ultralite, reset your unit to default! That is it, I was getting NO sound, just clicking and so far in this thread, no one has mentioned resetting back to factory default, here is the page I cam across to take care of this.

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... 89976/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this worked for you as it has for me, I leave my unit on 24/7, this is the first time in 4 years I have had to do this, now that I know I can, totally forgot about it!
Macpro 3ghz quad core/9gig ram 15TB disk storage en tot 828mkii / black magic Decklink HD Extreme / Mackie HR-824 monitors
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I'm having this problem with the original 828 (no factory reset available), and the symptoms are exactly as described by the OP:
rasmoose wrote:...It shows after 5-20 minutes of use and starts with a couple of digital noise burst as there is something wrong with the sample rate. After 10-30 seconds the only sound that comes from the MOTO interface is loud white noise!...
The one thing I have discovered is that it only occurs when I'm using the optical I/O.

Phil
rasmoose

Post by rasmoose »

@British33: Resetting to factory settings did not help on my UltraLite. I have been resetting it three times and have been powering it on and off to be sure. Unfortunately no luck.

@android23 and @Bjorn: I tried yesterday to turn off the wifi. After 3 hours of music playing constantly with no issue! I turned on the wifi. Five minutes later the UltraLite freaked out again. Coinzindence? Maybe, but it suggests that the wifi i causing it. I'm a bit mystified of how that can be.

Anyone else that have had success with the wifi-off solution?

BR, R
lorenzomusic

Post by lorenzomusic »

I am experiencing the same problem with my 828mkII and Lion. It switches to static noise and digital artifacts during playback after a random amount of time that cannot be reproduced. Changing the sample rate or optical input setting in the Audio Setup console stops it until it comes back after a while again.

None of the remedies (factory reset, driver reinstall, setting volume to 20%) fixes it for good. I do have the feeling that it is a Lion related problem and not a malfunctioning devices but MOTU needs to address it.

-T.