Input levels on Ultralite MK3 Hybrid

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
M-Circus
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by M-Circus »

Experiencing some strange issues with this card at the moment.

Attempted recording a guitar and mic input the other day, but was experiencing very low levels on the input signal. At the point where turning the trim on the mic/instrument inputs to max, still only gave me input volumes at low levels (audible, but not great). Figured I was probably doing something wrong with the channels in question, and decided to come back to it when I had the time.

However, when i tried recording some records yesterday, I was even more puzzled. My amp output is connected to the same sound card input it has always been connected to (analog 3-4). When setting the trim on said stereo channel to +11 dB in the past, I've always been able to get input signals that peak somewhere around -6 to -12 dB, depending on how loud the pressing is. Suddenly, I'm getting input signals on this channel that peaks at around -25 to -30 dB with the same trim setting, without having changed anything else. (To my knowledge that is - my two year likes to bang the computer keyboard once in a while...)

Anyway, it appears my problem seems to be affecting all input channels, but so far I'm unable to figure out what on earth might be the problem.

Does anyone who own this card, have a clue what might be wrong?

Any thoughts welcomed.

/M
Mark Barnes
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Input levels on Ultralite MK3 Hybrid

Post by Mark Barnes »

I was equally perplexed trying to figure out Cuemix (I'm a musician, not an engineer!), but finally bore down and, after studying some YouTube videos, got the levels/gain structure I was looking for.

First off, after you've set your input settings, click the "Mixes" tab and make sure the appropriate channel fader is boosted sufficiently. Setting the compressor/leveler and monitor sections properly will also help get you to where you want to go.

Go to YouTube and search "MOTU" and "Cuemix". The few videos out there will walk you through it.

Good luck!
M-Circus
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by M-Circus »

Thanks for taking the time Mark. I have looked over all the cuemix settings, and nothing wrong there.

However (slightly embarrassed to tell...), after turning my sound card off and on again yesterday, everything's suddenly back to normal.... Had restarted my iMac several times, but apparently not the card.

One of those unexplainable things I guess.

M
pilkinsc

Post by pilkinsc »

I have had exactly the same problem with my Ultralite. First wrote off the inexplicable loss of level to a broken transistor in my synthesiser and then the same thing happened on another! Following your lead i restarted my sound card and all hell broke loose. Lost control of my master volume on the unit itself, and while monitoring level is now more or less normal, the input level in my DAW is still the same.

This is the final straw for me with this hunk of expensive junk. It's going back to the store and I'm going to replace it with an RME or Apogee product. First it corrupted my MIDI drivers giving me a 10min load time on my logic and live projects, now this rubbish.

Now if the only solution to this problem is to turn the interface off and on then I'm a little disappointed with the lack of professionalism in this product. You would think that a 600euro interface would maintain a basic input level, particularly as the I/O is the whole selling point of the product.

Anyway, I think it's more stress than it's worth. Going back.
Zorro in Hell

Post by Zorro in Hell »

I recently recorded all my MIDI to audio in DP from the sub outs of my jackie into channels 3456 in my ultralite with no problems. All my levels were great! I have yet to use a Mic straight in to my Ultralite to record a vocal. That will happen this weekend. I'll post and let you all know how that goes. :woohoo:
pilkinsc

Post by pilkinsc »

After chatting with the guys at my music store, they seemed convinced that this was a hardware issue with my unit. I am not so convinced personally. However, they have given me a new unit and a renewed my return period so I can give it a try. Line level still seems low to me, but I haven't yet experienced sudden drops in level.

One question... I'm running a microkorg into the ultralite, and to get a signal of around -3db I'm having to max out the trim on inputs 3-4 at +22db. To me this seems a little inflexible, but perhaps its a limitation of the microkorg.

Anyway, I will give the new unit a few more days, and report back on the issues.