Ultralite MK3 Hybrid FREEZE + High Pitch whine

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
chessmess
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Ultralite MK3 Hybrid FREEZE + High Pitch whine

Post by chessmess »

i recently bought an ultralite mk3 hyrbid from someone one ebay. Im running a macbook (about 3 yrs old) which has been updated to snow leopard. Im using the current MOTU firwewire/usb software. I have 2gb ram and dual core 2 procesor.
The interface freezes and emits a high pitch whine. the computer slows right down and even the mouse cursor freezes. this can happen once in 20 mins or about every 30 seconds. it can be triggered by anything it seems, like playing a youtube video, playing a vst synth, pressing play in ableton, or even doing absolutely nothing at all! its driving me mad, and i cant send it back because the seller says it worked fine for them and i dont know if its my macbook that is the problem? i am supposed to be remixing crystal castles right now and i cant even write one synth line without wanting to just give up and go lie down because of the stress this interface is causing me!
Help pls :( :(
Isaac

p.s I have no other firewire devices connected. To get it to work again i have to change the sample rate or turn the interface on and off. It also does the same thing with USB, although it doesnt whine and to get it to go again i have to restart the macbook.
rodger1811
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Ultralite MK3 Hybrid FREEZE + High Pitch whine

Post by rodger1811 »

Make sure that you have the latest firmware for the device (I'm not sure if yours has any but check the motu website) and the latest drivers.
Mid 2012 Mac Pro 12 Core 2.4GHz, 24G RAM, OSX 10.8.2, DP 8.01
4x2 TB Hard Drives
APOGEE Symphony
MOTU 2408 mk3
MOTU HD192/Black Lion Modified
MOTU 24I/Ox2
MOTU MIDI Timepiece
Universal Audio UAD-2 Quad x 2
Universal Audio (Entire Plugin Library)
Waves Mercury+ Studio Classics
Tons of other goodies; to many to mention here
chessmess

Post by chessmess »

im pretty sure there is no firmware for it, and i have the latest driver :( :(
x.miguel

Post by x.miguel »

This is also happening with me, with the ultralike mk3. It worked with no problems for a year, but now it starts to the high pitch sound and cut all sound. Sound can be restarted by changing to 48k and back to 44k. It happens usually with high cpu stuff like flash video, games, etc. I'm on a macbookpro (4 years old) and 10.6.3. Could it be the 10.6.3. update ?

Is motu not adressing this ????? This is really crippling my use of the soundcard !

Miguel Negrão
chessmess

Post by chessmess »

ive had a 3 week motu support thread going and still no solution. they just keep asking me to check what driver i have installed despite telling them about 4 times! ive noticed though that the interface only gets recognised if i install the PCI drivers as well as firewire. if i just install the firwire driver it doesnt show up as a device. so something must be wrong there. my paypal claim against the buyer ran out as motu took so long to get back to me so now im stuck with no money and a dud interface, such a joke!
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Have you uninstalled the old driver? Please follow this.

Factory reset the Ultralite

Go to Macintosh HD/Applications and trash, MOTU Audio Setup and CueMix Console.

Go to Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions and trash, MOTUFireWireAudio.kext

Go to Macintosh HD/Users/Library/Preferences/and trash, com.motu.FireWireAudio

Empty trash

Download the current FireWire driver from Motu's website

Restart

Reinstall only the firewire/usb driver - being sure your MOTU interface is turned off.

If this doesn't work try the unit on another computer and if it performs the same it could be faulty. Also did you do a clean install of OS 10.6 or was it just an update. Doing a clean install may also help, but try this last.
chessmess

Post by chessmess »

ive done all that. except i cant try it on another computer as i dont have one or know anyone with a mac.
the update was installed by apple and is a clean install.
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Use a PC then. If it does the same thing on the PC it's faulty and you can take it back to where you bought it and get a replacement. If it works on a PC, get a PC. Their better anyway and cheaper :)

I can sense the hate mail already :)
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Does it behave the same whether your using the the USB or firewire?

Also if you can't find another computer to try it on. Take it to the shop you bought it from and get them to test it on their computer.
chessmess

Post by chessmess »

it does the same usb and firewire. i bought it off ebay.
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Sorry but I'm out of answers. But try it on another computer, what ever you have to do. Making sure the unit isn't faulty is what needs to be cleared up before looking else where.
bynoe

Post by bynoe »

I'm also having the same problem. There are a couple of threads about this. I have 2 Ultralites and both are doing it. Driving me crazy
chessmess

Post by chessmess »

are you running the same mac as me? i hop it gets sorted :(
bynoe

Post by bynoe »

Yes i've got the same macbook as you. I'm going to try over the weekend with a newer macbook of mine. I'll let you know if this makes any difference
chessmess

Post by chessmess »

great, thankyou