Ultralite MK3 Hybrid FREEZE + High Pitch whine

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
bynoe
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Ultralite MK3 Hybrid FREEZE + High Pitch whine

Post by bynoe »

An update to this. I tied it on another MacBook and it worked fine. I think a reinstall of 10.6 maybe the only way to fix this. As there is something the ultralite dosent like. Also away to bring it back to life is by changing the sample rate to 48.
chessmess

Post by chessmess »

thanks for that info, more helpful than motu have been! im not sure i can downgrade because of other software compatibility issues so i guess its either new macbook or change of interface. thanks for your help bro
utudesign

Post by utudesign »

So how did you solve the problem? I just bought ultralite mk3 and I've still time to take return it if there is no solution for this.
so annoying.

I've exactly same setup as you. Have tried everything, but nothing helps.

thank you!
chessmess

Post by chessmess »

still havent sorted it. i cant downgrade my mac because other software wont work. just have to put up with this piece of junk
utudesign

Post by utudesign »

Mine started working when I plugged it into mains. So the problem seems to be that it doesn't work with firewire or usb powering. At least that worked for me. High pitch whine is gone and metering from DIG IN section as well...

Try that out.

I've also Snow Leopard and can't downgrade that because of other software.

EDIT: spoke too soon... today it all started again :(
I'd recommend everyone to think twice before choosing MOTU.
MessyMass

Post by MessyMass »

Hey guys!

I have a Mac 2.4 Ghz Core 2 DUO and Motu Ultralite mk3 as well. I experience high pitched whines and clicks since I bought this card. I figured out that u can get rid of the clicks by connecting the power supply to the MOTU card. Although the whines persisted.

I just called the Motu support line today, because I found out that writing them is not efficient enough, and besides from getting a kinda annoyed support technician, he told me that its a problem with the MAC firewire unit on this specific Mac model. Its a cheap unit and is not able to handle the MOTU soundcard.

I found this a bit strange. I haven't had any problems with my M-Audio 410, but maybe that doesn't put the same strain on the system as the MOTU does - but if anything they should make some firmware to accommodate this error. Seeing as thats not the case right now, the tech support told me that I could connect my MOTU through another firewire device such as an external hard drive and this would resolve the issue and increase the overall performance of the MOTU unit.

So u take a firewire cable from your MOTU to another firewire unit and put a firewire cable from that unit back into the MAC.

I've now done this and I will let u guys know if it works or not. I am just going on 30 mins now without breakdown.

All the best
chessmess

Post by chessmess »

awsome, thanks for letting us know. hopefully this works for you, ill have to buy some kind of firewire device to daisy chain the motu to so ill wait a bit to see how yours gets along
MessyMass

Post by MessyMass »

It hasn't whined or broken down yet ....... :)
chessmess

Post by chessmess »

great! i was wondering if you could help me. the motu cutting out and whining is getting unbearable, so ive decided to buy a hard drive to daisy chain the motu to as it seems to have solved your problem. i was looking at the lacie rugged 320 drive, which has firewire 400 and firewire 800 ports, would that be suitable for me to use?? i dont know very much about this stuff.heres the link.
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... 8wIwAjgA#p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks for your help in advance :)
MessyMass

Post by MessyMass »

Just got the first breakdown today, 'the whine' :/

Well its def an improvement but it still can happen.

about the harddrive: I have no idea man ;) I am using an old harddrive i had laying around from 2000 or something like that... but the one you are looking at looks decent enough. As long as it has firewire i reckon...

For the clicking attach the power supply that will correct it.
Capt.aka

Post by Capt.aka »

Greetings. I've had the same problem coupled with the problem listed below.
But I increased my RAM from 2 to 3 Gigs and the "Freeze" and "High Pitch squelch" has stopped.
But, the Audio-output signal from the Mk3 Reads in the System Preferences Sound Input Level Monitor But Not in Host Software.
Although the audio signal from my mixer is making it to the interface (I can see levels)and the audio from the interface is making it to the computer (I can see on system preferences "Sound" input level monitor)it is not being read on any host software I've tried which includes: AudioDesk 3.02, Garageband, Cubase 4.1, Audacity, and Adobe SoundBooth CS3.
Note: Output (for playback) is set to go through the MOTU Interface and works well.

Here's an Overview of my machine's Hardware:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 3 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.27f3
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Any advice is greatly appreciated. But please note that I've followed all instructions provided by Apple, MOTU, and all set-up instructions for host software and I've also disconnected the MOTU interface and recorded directly into the MBP and it worked fine.
pilkinsc
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by pilkinsc »

Hi!

I had this problem on booting the MOTU with my windows PC. Sometimes it would give me a high pitch squeal and plenty of popping and crackling.

Here's the PC spec:
Intel 4670k i5
Asus z87-k motherboard
2X 4GB Ram (Although I am temporarily running 32bit OS and only using 4GB)
Samsung 250GB SSD (OS Drive)
Seagate 2TB HDD (Storage Drive)
Motu Ultralite Hybrid - runnning with USB2 connection (latest firmware and drivers)

It was very unstable, requiring about 5 restarts, plugs and unplugs to get it picked up via USB, recognised and running without any feedback. First I had problems as I was running it into a USB 3 port, but USB2 marginally improved the instability, but made it by no means accesptable.

Now I fixed the problem to some extent. I found that it was conflicting with the realtek on board sound drivers from my motherboard. I disabled them in the bios and it seems to be running better.

Now it is at least connecting without problems, and pops and crackles have been mostly reduced. However, now I'm getting some strange time stretching distortion. Very subtle, but not sure where this is coming from.

I also notice that Cue Mix and Audio Console do not want to load for me. This is a problem I had on my last 2 systems also. They sometimes work, but mostly I can't access the panel.

Still not working perfectly but a marked improvement on the unusable state of the past weeks.

Anyway we'll see how things go. Feedback much appreciated on the Software problems and timestretching stuff.
Dirty Job
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Dirty Job »

I have the exact same problem after installing the Hybrid on a new system. Here are the comp specs (interesting because it is similar to Pilkinsc's) :
Intel i7-4790K
Asus Z97-A
2x8 GB of Corsaire Vengeance Pro Series 1600 MHz
Samsung SSD 250 Go
1 To SSHD
Ultralite Hybrid Mk3 connected with USB2 (Firmware and drivers are UTD)

I already faced this problem once when I plugged the interface on an USB3 port on my laptop but it disappeared as soons as I plugged it on an USB2 port.
Now I made sure to plug it on an USB2 on the new build as well but the problem remains. I managed to have the sound playing a couple of times after tweaking the settings in the Audio Console and in the Windows Sound Control Panel but it freezes again after a reboot.
Another weird behavior is that sometimes, even tho the sample rate is set at 44 kHz, when I try to play some music it switches to 48 kHz...