Help with my Motu 828 mk2 setup :( OSX Not seeing it.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
ramangill
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Help with my Motu 828 mk2 setup :( OSX Not seeing it.

Post by ramangill »

After reading several positive reviews and reading through the positive comments on here, this unit look good. I also found this unit for sale as a used item at Long & McQuade (Toronto, ON). Unit is operational and works well, though when they showed me it was running under windows but not a big deal to be honest. It did not come with any software so I was forced to get them online...again not an issue.....but here is where my problem begins.

I have a mac pro (1,1) running Snow Leopard (10.6). I go online to motu's site and realize that there site no longer supports MK2. Under the downloads section though I downloaded the following as I was unsure which one to grab so I grabbed them all

http://www.motu.com/download/mac-downloads.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1. MOTU Site --> Downloads --> MAC --> --> MIDI Interface Software --> USB MIDI OSX Drivers and ClockWorks
2. MOTU Site --> Downloads --> MAC --> --> FireWire/USB2 --> MOTU Universal Audio Install- OSX 10.3
3. MOTU Site --> Downloads --> MAC --> --> FireWire/USB2 -->FireWire and USB Audio Driver Installer for Mac OS X

So after installing #1, I realize after that its for the USB one....oops..I guess I got to excited. OK Cool. So I figure installing #2 will simply override #1. It installed cuemix console and another item. It also installed a motu setup. I also ran the installer for #3 as well as the site said it was the updated drivers and for the updated cuemix. So I did that...restarted the mac. Once in, I opened my Audio/MIDI program and nothing. It does not even see the MOTU. So I open the MOTU setup App. It says that when it detects the MOTU it will automatically open the setup...DID NOT HAPPEN. So then I open the Cuemix...nothing...does not open the program however the program open the icon and places it in the dock. So then after reasearching online...2 suggestions I found.

1. RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS
2. UNPLUG ALL OTHER FIREWIRE PRODUCTS SO THAT 828 IS THE ONLY ONE USING A FW PORT.

Did both...NOTHING.

Just an FYI, the 828 works meaning it lights up, I can change settings, it responds, etc, etc. I tried my other firewire ports and still nothing. I tested other firewire items to see if the port was dead but they worked fine.

So before I call MOTU support which I hear is a nightmare I thought I would ask here. Has anyone ran into this issue? Did I install the correct software? Have I done something wrong.
ramangill

Re: Help with my Motu 828 mk2 setup :( OSX Not seeing it.

Post by ramangill »

Which one should I be installing? #2 or #3.

On there site I see these ones.
FireWire and USB Audio Driver Installer for Mac OS X - Date: 2010/02/02
MOTU Universal Audio Install- OSX 10.3 - Date: 2007/09/04
MOTU Firewire Drivers and Consoles OSX - Date: 2005/05/10

I assume the latest one but the descriptions for them differ from each other which is where I am confused.
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

ramangill wrote:Which one should I be installing? #2 or #3.

On there site I see these ones.
FireWire and USB Audio Driver Installer for Mac OS X - Date: 2010/02/02
MOTU Universal Audio Install- OSX 10.3 - Date: 2007/09/04
MOTU Firewire Drivers and Consoles OSX - Date: 2005/05/10

I assume the latest one but the descriptions for them differ from each other which is where I am confused.
Use the ones dated 2/2/2010. Those are the correct drivers for the 828mkII and SL. Start the installer that you previously used and select the uninstall option before you download and install the new drivers.

MOTU still supports the 828mkII firewire unit, they just don't sell it anymore.

After you've installed the latest drivers, use CueMix FX in the Applications folder rather than regular CueMix to access the unit.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
ramangill

Post by ramangill »

OK Sounds good. I will try this tonight. If this does not work then?
123456sixty

This worked for me.... try it with patience.

Post by 123456sixty »

I have had many issues with my 828mk2 FW which I use with my G5 dual 2.7ghz.
I have 2 boot drives my main one running 10.4.6 with Logic Xpress 7.2,
the other running 10.5 with Logic Pro 8.

The drivers to use are dependant on your OS. For:
10.4 use MOTU Firewire 1.2.5 (MOTU Firewire Drivers and Consoles OSX - Date: 2005/05/10)

10.5 use MOTU Audio Installer (FireWire and USB Audio Driver Installer for Mac OS X - Date: 2010/02/02) although my date stamp is 3/11/09.

FIRST DISCONNECT YOUR 828 COMPLETELY AND UN-PLUG FROM THE MAINS.

Make sure you run the un-installer for each install you've attempted, they appear to only clear out their own associated files.
After each un-install "repair permissions" using "disk utility", "SHUT DOWN" and reboot.

Before reconnecting your 828, power it up, and using the last page on the SETUP menu reset to factory, then while holding in the SELECT knob, switch off and back on the power switch, this is a hidden reset for the 828mkII. I have found that doing this "hard" reset solves most issues with the 828mkII.
It may take a few goes to successfully get a connection, if unsuccessful disconnect, un-install, repair permissions, reboot and try again. 8)

Good luck 123456sixty