how to rack mount UltraLite mk3 Hybrid

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
boyfriendacademy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

how to rack mount UltraLite mk3 Hybrid

Post by boyfriendacademy »

Anybody figured out yet how to cleanly rack mount the UltraLite mk3 Hybrid in a standard 19" rack? I know I could strap it down to a rack shelf but I was hoping for a cleaner solid faceplate kind of solution. MOTU did include some small rack ears with the UltraLite mk3 Hybrid but they're only good for racking the unit into a "half rack" (which I don't think many people have) or for connecting two units side-by-side and mounting into a full rack.
-Tony
cowtothesky

Re: how to rack mount UltraLite mk3 Hybrid

Post by cowtothesky »

bump

I'm running into this situation now. I have thrown all my money into virtual instruments, computers, monitors, synthesizers, fx. I am finally looking at replacing my mixer (VS2000) and getting a good interface. It looks like the ultralite is what I have decided on.

I don't have much desk space, but have tons of rack space and I am looking for a way to rackmount the ultralite. Is there a half space rack mount that anyone has found that works for it? I know MOTU sells one, but I think it only works if you have 2 hardware items that are 1/2 rack space. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks!
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
randallp
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by randallp »

Looking for same solution - can the ears supplied be used with some sort of 1/2 space blanking plate to mount in a standard rack?
bad andy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by bad andy »

I racked my audio express to a standard empty shelf, shared with on older lxp1 (also 1/2 rack width) I used the motu adaptor on one side of the unit to screw into the rails. So one side mounted, thats it.
jdvmi00

Post by jdvmi00 »

MOTU really needs to fix this problem. I really need to rack this half rack unit in a full 19" rack. There is no way to do this securely unless you buy more MOTU gear :evil:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

jdvmi00 wrote:MOTU really needs to fix this problem.
No they don't. You can buy half rack spacers 1U for under $7; 2U for under $8. There are other solutions including rack shelves.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search. ... &Go=Search
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jdvmi00

Post by jdvmi00 »

1U 1/2 rack spacers don't work, tried it. I even took a picture but can't upload it here to show you. What they need to do is what sennheiser does with the IEM Transmitters and Antenna mounts. Image

The shelve option sucks. How do you secure it Gaffers tape, no thanks.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Even though it is the wrong pic, I get it now.

You need two items. The first is the half-rack mounting kit on this page.
https://www.motu.com/store/accessories/ ... nting-kits

Plus you need a 1U half-rack spacer.

You will have a MOTU center bracket left over but it should work.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

So screw it. :wink:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:
So screw it. :wink:
Actually, Velcro would work quite well to secure it to a rack shelf. Use the peel and stick industrial stuff you get at the hardware store.. I have secured a lot of gear that way over the years.

Knowing about the MOTU half-rack kit, that is likely what I would do. I found it by Googling rack mount UltraLite mk3 Hybrid