Mono outputs in Cuemix?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
mrkaves
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Mono outputs in Cuemix?

Post by mrkaves »

Hello everybody,

I wanted to know if there's a way of configuring the analog outputs of a Ultralite mk3 to be mono instead of stereo. What I want to do is apply different EQ, compressions and level to the individual outputs ( 1 through 8 ) via the Cuemix software (v 1.0.6). You can pair/unpair the input channels with a mono/stereo toggle button but I can't find that option for the outputs.

It seems it can't be done, but is that a feature that will probably appear with a software/firmware update?

Thanks.
chrisblythenz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mono outputs in Cuemix?

Post by chrisblythenz »

Hi
I've only just got my Ultralite3 and have no manual - but, I've found out what you're asking as I need to do the same for a gig tomorrow. At least I think I have!
Open CueMix and you'll see the inputs default to stereo pairs.
On the ultralite click the CHAN button until you see AN 1-2 come up.
To the right on the LCD screen it says PAIR and STEREO
I clicked VALUE and it changed the setting to MONO and then this is reflected in CueMix
Turn the CHAN button to get channel 2 (which should already be MONO) and then again to get to 3-4 and repeat the process for all the channels.
Once I've done this it looks like the outs are mono as well. Needs testing though.

As I say, I've just this minute worked it out and haven't actually tested any audio through it but it looks good in theory!
Good luck
Chris
iMac 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB Ram, Snow Leopard, DP7.1, Reason 3.5, IK Amplitube 3 & compressors and stuff, Ultralite mk3, lovely partner, 2 kids, 2 cats and a vespa.
mrkaves

Post by mrkaves »

Hey Chris, thanks for your response.

I had no luck with your suggestion, all it does for me anyways, is toggle the inputs from stereo to mono, the outputs remain stereo.

Still can't find a way to do it.

Good luck with your gig!
1nput0utput

Post by 1nput0utput »

The outputs are always grouped in stereo pairs. If you want to route an input to only a single output (instead of to a stereo pair), then you should pan it hard left or hard right.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
mrkaves

Post by mrkaves »

I have no problem routing tracks to single outputs, I have a click going to ouput 1, a lead vox to output 2, and so on.

My problem is that I want to use the DSP (EQ and Dynamics) and levels independently for outputs 1 and 2.

I work with some bands for live gigs, and I use Digital Perfomer for playing back the backing tracks, witch consist of a Click (mono, output 1), Lead Vox (mono, output 2), Loops (stereo, outputs 3 and 4), etc. All of these are routed to different outputs in the Ultralite mk3.

This is the scenario

I want to apply EQ and compression (using the ultralite DSP) to the recorded Lead Vox but leave the click untouched. Since they share the same stereo pair (outputs 1 and 2) this is impossible.

I read the entire manual and it seems that I'm gonna have to wait for an update (hopefully)

Thanks.
hassie

Post by hassie »

I was wondering if you already find a solution.
I just start working with Motu...and after reading a lot of related links I found your post (which completely puts in words my frustration and wishes)!
Like you, I feel inspired by the EFX section. But I want to make use of it on individual (mono) output channels. Stereo outputs are nice for stereo recorded channels...but in my case...I record separate mono tracks (for instance a guitar and a vocal etc) and of course, do not want a same EQ/dynamic on this two different types of audio channels.
I am using all 8 inputs/outputs...so always things are paired that i want to effect separatly....

I hope that in the meanwhile Motu provided solutions for this (I think)"simple" though nessacary issue, to be able to use this nice CueMixFM!!!

I hope to hear something
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

The Cuemix EQ and Compressor tools work on individual input channels, not on output channels (though their settings are visible in the output tab's sliders). The output channels are always discrete mono-outs, but the Mix tab controls whether they go out both of a pair (pan center) or only out one of the output jacks of the two paired ones (pan extreme left or right). So, you DO have individual control of the EQ, Compression, and output of each individual input when that is set to MONO in the inputs tab and its pan is set to extreme left or right on the Mixes tab. The EQ and Compressor adjustments work individually and independently upon the input whose focus button is lit.

The reverb is a global one that always outputs to a stereo pair.

Terry
Last edited by terrybritton on Thu May 04, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I know that these come with paper manuals but, for finding things in a hurry, nothing beats a searchable .pdf.

http://motu.com/techsupport/manuals
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cake101

Post by cake101 »

Hello,
I have a problem.
Hope you can get a grasp on what I explain here:

I have 2 Traveler mark 1s connected to each other - firewire via Mac 10.10.5 for use in Logic pro 9 or X. Both are powered by wall sockets. Traveler 1 is Internal clock and the Traveler 2 is clocked by Traveler 1.
Most of their outputs are connected to a mixing desk.

If I set up the output in CueMix FX (ver.1.67320)> analog 1-2 and the computer is turned off I only get sounds from the two outputs - 1 and 2.
If I set up the output in CueMix > phones 1-2 I get no sounds from the outputs to the mixing desk. I have no connection coming out of the phones socket to the mixing desk (but if I plug in headphones there is sound from the phones outputs).

When the computer is turned on, with CueMix output > phones 1-2 the output from the computer itself comes through the mixing desk.
There are no sounds from the outputs of the travelers to the mixing desk.

There are sounds when the CueMix output > analog 1-2, but only from the analog 1 and 2 outputs. Other outputs no sounds.

If I turn on Logic Pro and set up an aggregate device session and start a new project with mono outs for each channel, I get sounds to the mixing desk (CueMix - phones 1-2 - also with analog 1-2 but I want separate outs).

However from the Traveler 2 - there are no sounds. I can only get sounds if I change the set up from aggregate device to Traveler 2. That of course means all sounds from Traveler 1 outputs are gone.

So, I would like to know if I can in any way have the all the outputs working - going into the mixing desk with the two travelers daisy chaining when using the DAW?
And if I can ever get the separate outputs to work (going into the mixing desk) when not connected to a computer?

Much appreciated if help is at hand.

Cheers.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

In the MOTU Audio control panel (the one with the General tab for sample rate and sync on the left and the devices on the right), the Phones Assign, Main Out Assign and Return Assign receive, essentially, from a "mix" setup by CueMix. Of the eight mixes, you can have one apiece to each of the outputs found in the drop-down. (Plus, the "Return" dropdown has a choice among all eight possible mixes). That is, you can make mixes that are not assigned to an explicit output which, however, CAN be used to send to the Return.

So, it feeds from the right side into the left side. These settings are retained inside the hardware when you shut down Cuemix and power the computer down. Of course, the Return settings are only relevant if you have a computer set up. I usually keep mine set to Mix 8 so as to avoid any confusion.

Phones Assign can receive from any of the regular output mixes, but usually one uses the one called "Phones" already in Cuemix if they aren't sending the main-out to that in parallel to having Main Out Assign to the same thing.

What puzzles me in your scenario (besides the Phones output oddness) is that the units do not act the same when the computer is shut off. So, I am wondering what you are getting for audio to send to the outs? Do you have mixes set up (via Cuemix or the front panel) for each output channel?

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

cake101

Post by cake101 »

Thanks for the response.
I am new to using the interface, so it is a learning curve for me.
Now, I am confused with the 8 mixes you mention.
Am I not seeing something or are you talking about a different version of the program?
I can see nothing related to 8 mixes.
Here are some screenshots:

If I click on default stereo input, output and phones assign, I see these:

I never mess with the CueMix settings and every time I start it I see this below:

This offers only a mix bus option with 4 choices. I always stick with the first mix.

I used phones out because it seemed to be the only way to get sound from the Traveler.
Cheers.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Yes, the layout of the Traveler is quite different from the Ultralight and 828. Your layout combines the input, mix and output tabs I see in mine into a single page display.

The four "Mix" busses you have on the far right must be corollaries to the 8 mixes available on my machines.

Set up Bus B to be to the Phones and you'll likely have independent control over the mix going to the phones. Those busses are to describe what is sent out. You then can assign those mixes to the outputs via the drop-downs. You only show the one mix in your dropdowns presently, I presume, because you have nothing assigned to the other three busses.

Fiddle around with those - at least make a separate mix to go to your phones and assign your "Phones" mix to the "Phones Assign" to see it working. That should give you a few lightbulb moments. :-)

Terry

P.S. I believe you can rename the "Bus" by double-clicking on it.
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Instead of connecting both Travelers to your computer via Firewire, why not use one as the Master (connected to computer via Firewire) and the second ("Slave") as an optical expander, connected to the Master with optical cables? Unless you are already using the optical i/o for something else (like two eight-channel mic preamps), this approach allows all inputs and outputs to be managed under the Master's CueMix console, greatly simplifying setting up cue mixes.

Make sure that one of your two Travelers is the master clock. You could make the Slave unit the clock master by clocking the Master Traveler to its optical In. Or make the Master unit the clock master by clocking the Slave to its optical In using a second optical cable from the Master optical Out > Slave optical In.

As Terry notes, for mono outputs, use the CueMix pan pots. You can theoretically produce eight mono mixes from CueMix when using your hardware by using pan pots to balance sounds between L and R channels, each functioning as a mono mix.
cake101

Post by cake101 »

Thanks for the responses.

I don't seem to be able to get things working as I'd like.

There is no difference from what I was getting with the bus - mix options as explained by Terry. I tried the phones and analog 1-2 assigns in the 4 bus mixes and nothing changed from what I had done before.

When the computer was off, with firewire only connected to T1 I got sound coming from the phones output on both travelers.

I bought some optical cables.

With optical cables connected when computer off.
Traveler 1 Clock Source: Internal.
Traveler 2 Clock Source: Adat Opt 44/48.
There are sounds from the T2 outputs, but it seems all of the outputs send the same sounds. But I need the output from phones T1 and phones T2 for the outputs to work. With the T1 phones unplugged, there is no sound from outs from T2 (but there are sounds from phones on T1).

With computer on:
It is the same.
The MOTU audio setup only sees Traveler 1.
CueMix only sees T1. I am not sure what settings I need to change for T2 as suggested by HCMarcus with the 'Masters setup'

With my DAW - logic on, I got the same sound scenario as above but nothing from T2 was going to the DAW. The DAW received sounds from T1.

I assume it is due to the firewire cable not being connected to T2?

With the computer turned on with firewire and optical cables connected (both clock source for T2 Int and Adat Opt 44/48) I got the same scenario as above. And CueMix showed T2 as did MOTU Audio Setup.

When I turned on the DAW, aggregate device was set up automatically.
The channels received sound using T2. The outputs for T2 worked when I used CueMix > output analog 1-2. But all outputs came out of the output 1 channel.
Using output phones 1-2 - there were no sounds from outputs in T2..

So it seems the optical cables (whilst firewire was connected and T1 and T2 were daisy chained) managed to help generate sounds from the outputs of T2 albeit not on separate outputs.

I hope what I wrote is not confusing.
Maybe what I want to do is not possible - daisy chain and get outputs from both interfaces.

Thanks again.