Controling CueMix Volume by MIDI?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
dewdman42
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Controling CueMix Volume by MIDI?

Post by dewdman42 »

TinenTech wrote:If the Behringer emulates Mackie Control or HUI, I don't see why not. You don't need a computer hooked up to the Traveler when using a Mackie Control...in fact if you have one hooked up, it gets really complicated until you have all your preferences correct.
When I asked motu tech support this was their response today:
"Unfortunately, this would not be possible. HUI control requires connection to a computer because the Traveler can't interpret HUI control messages without an intermediary. While HUI utilizes the MIDI protocol for communication purposes, that MIDI signal can't be understood by hardware devices unless they receive that data translated into MIDI signals. In the case of the Traveler, this can only be achieved through CueMix. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns!"
I don't have any hui device yet to try this and with conflicting information like this it leaves me frustrated. I'm certainly not going to spend money if it won't work. Either TinenTech is misleading us somehow or motu tech support is. I will have to side with tech support unless someone else can confirm TinenTech's assertion to the contrary.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Just a thought...
if you take a break, relax, and re-read Motu's post, it is clear, that Cuemix FX needs to be running, and that means via computer, how else do you want to run Cuemix FX ?

I'm in the same boat and setting up right now a small rack, including a cheap Mac mini ( old model that runs 10.4.11 ) and a cheap router, all controlled by a cheap tablet via VNC...
If I could hot rodd a 896mk3H and build everything into it, that would be cool

Best

Klaus
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Klaus I think you need to relax. Just because the manual says one thing does not mean it might not have some limited un documented functionality. TinenTech claims that it works so. Your quotes from the manual and your condescending attitude are not helpful. We already read the manual a long time ago.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Whoa...
I newer meant to be condescending
Trying to be helpfull...
I'm out of this thread

best

Klaus
laneo

Post by laneo »

Hi all, it´s been more than 2 years since this post.
Are there any news on this? Any chance to control cuemix volume by MIDI?
Any update will be appreciated.
Cheers!
bobco631

Post by bobco631 »

TinenTech wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:55 am If the Behringer emulates Mackie Control or HUI, I don't see why not. You don't need a computer hooked up to the Traveler when using a Mackie Control...in fact if you have one hooked up, it gets really complicated until you have all your preferences correct.

Mackie Control of CueMix FX gives you faders, mutes, pans, +6 switching, and -10/+4 switching (on the REC buttons). Press FLIP, and it controls the four Bus master faders (and select which mix you want on the faders). Mackie Control also has an OPTION key so you can control a parameter in all four Traveler mixes at once (very handy for live).
This is gold to me , the only place on the internet as far as I know to glean this information , particularly what can be controlled in CueMix from the MCU , I have an MCU and I connect it via MIDI to the 828 mk3 , both ways , in and out etc and TinenTech's info here , and I appreciate this input and even the wording here is important here , what I've gleaned and tested working for me is the control of CueMix's 8 mixes , and originally when first connecting to CueMix by checking the 'enable' button in Control Surfaces , of course after adding the MCU in AudioMidi Setup , it defaults to the
first mix that is assigned to Mix 1 . How to select a different mix to control , just like quoted above , press FLIP on the MCU and the faders
jump to B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6 B7 B8 , pressing pressing SELECT on one of these channels , green led lights on the selected channel , then press FLIP again and you are back to fader control of channels and the MIX you selected is now the focused mix and it is indicated on the top row of the MCU display.

My question is where if anywhere is this actually documented ?

" Refer to the extensive on-line help for details about configuring CueMix FX for operation with your control surface product."

extensive on line help ?

That is the control facility of the MCU over CueMix in this particular situation for me , the 828 MK3. My experience is that you can't control CueMix with the MCU WITHOUT being connected via laptop w.h.y. via CueMix .
I my experience , using a MacBook Pro , if my usb connection to the 828mk3 fails , in that the cable inadvertently gets pulled out however slightly then of course I lose the connection to CueMix from the MCU and even after reinstalling the usb cable in my case I can't the the MCU reconnected , enable etc without restarting Cuemix , restarting the Laptop is the easiest as the 828 mk3 is connected to amps and I wouldn't want to power cycle it with all the amps on etc , I just want control of CueMix from the MCU.

I also use an iPad with Touch OSC for individual mixes, but having the MCU for quick mutes and levels is a million times faster than trying to find those pages in the mk3 OSC template , that would take forever as microphones are screaming from feedback , quick response to levels and mutes are avail through the MCU and that's a tool you will need if doing live sound ! press FLIP and all the mix busses are there for quick tactile levels and mutes to isolate sources of feedback , especially when using many mixes like the 8 that the 828 mk3 supports .
The option key sounds promising as well , can't wait to try that out .
I just picked up this 828 mk3 for $500 Canadian dollars last week and it's proving very handy ! Already had an MCU which I use for Reaper with the CSI functionality that is V 2.0 these days .
Glad for this post and particularly TinenTech contributions , still wondering where these are documented if anywhere at all ?
Cheers
Reaper Mac 6.3.1 ; 828mk3 FW; 8Pre FW; 2008 MacPro 3,1 Mojave.
2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16 Gb RAM OS 10.15.7 500 Gb Flash Storage MOTU M2