Controling CueMix Volume by MIDI?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
stephentayler
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Controling CueMix Volume by MIDI?

Post by stephentayler »

iPad support for CueMix coming in the spring, it was announced at NAMM

http://www.motu.com/newsitems/digital-p ... es-windows

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
timonus
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by timonus »

Anyone knows when spring is planned this year :wink:

Looking forward to try cuemix with touchosc!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Controling CueMix Volume by MIDI?

Post by James Steele »

I saw the demo at NAMM and CueMix was being controlled by an iPad using the TouchOSC iPad app with custom template.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

what I want to know is can I run my traveler in stand alone mode, no computer attached and control it with an ipad?
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
johnsbaker

Post by johnsbaker »

Years gone by, with numerous MOTU software updates, and still no decent MIDI control support for CueMix!

I have been able to hack together something that works using a Korg nanokontrol and my Ultralite, but it only works for bus mix #1, and only reliably for volume control of the first four channels. Pitiful.

How can it be so hard for them to get this done, when so many other I/O interfaces and DAW plug-ins provide flexible and easy MIDI controller setup?

Until I am certain the horse is dead, I will continue to beat it ... :deadhorse:
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Maybe I missed some posts, but
here MIDI remote control of Cuemix FX works in MCU mode and BCF2000 without problems,
( only iTunes interfering, that is audio from iTunes has hickups as soon as Cuemix FX is controlled from the BCF2000 ( via Mackie Protocol )
So I use DP / Mackie Protocol and BCF2000 to control ( DP is linked to Cuemix FX )
and this way no hickups in iTunes... go figure

I just run 2 day country shows using this rig for live mixing and recording with DP...
If it wouldn't be stable, I wouldn't run it live...

best

Klaus
johnsbaker

Post by johnsbaker »

Well, I'm happy for you. And, thats good for those that have a Mackie or Mackie emulation. I'm talking about the flexibility to support MIDI CC# commands, not Mackie emulation. That way, customers could use just about any MIDI controller on the market. Besides, Mackie only makes 1 surface these days and its over $1000. And I don't wanna use a big ol' clunky Behringer, I have one and its not road worthy, in my opinion.

Bottom line, using Mackie emulation seems so limited and outdated. MIDI CC is common, current, and provides plenty enough resolution and precision for live mixing applications.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

and also that requires a computer to be connected and running CueMix. Why can't we control the device in standalone mode using MIDI CC?
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

ok, agreed direct MIDI control would be *modern*

Klaus
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Does anyone here know for sure if a BCF2000 can be used to control a motu device such as the Traveler WITHOUT having a computer attached? In other words directly on MIDI. At least be able to adjust faders and pan pots for all 4 mixes?
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

If the Behringer emulates Mackie Control or HUI, I don't see why not. You don't need a computer hooked up to the Traveler when using a Mackie Control...in fact if you have one hooked up, it gets really complicated until you have all your preferences correct.

Mackie Control of CueMix FX gives you faders, mutes, pans, +6 switching, and -10/+4 switching (on the REC buttons). Press FLIP, and it controls the four Bus master faders (and select which mix you want on the faders). Mackie Control also has an OPTION key so you can control a parameter in all four Traveler mixes at once (very handy for live).
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

But you need Cuemix FX...

Klaus
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I'm confused. One person says I need the computer connected to the traveler, and the other person says not? What is the real answer?

Can HUI control a traveler basic mixing functions directly over MIDI without any computer involved?

That being said, which ipad or iphone app would also do the same thing? I'm just looking for a simple solution to connect to my traveler at a gig and adjust my in-ear mix which is what I use the traveler for. I can do it from the front panel too frankly, but if its possible to get a MIDI interface or my iphone and some cheap piece of software that emulates HUI well enough, it would be fun and easier to use that at gig time. But only if no computer required.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

You need Cuemix or DP to control the interface...

:rtfm:

Klaus
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

TinenTech?