828 MKII Static and Cracking Noises

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
10AK
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

828 MKII Static and Cracking Noises

Post by 10AK »

My 828mkII has been making a static/crackling noise for quite some time. The mic levels light up in the display of the unit when the noise happens, and I have turned the mic levels down to prevent the noise from coming through on my monitors. However, I cannot plug a mic into the mic ins and record with them because the static/crackling noise writes itself onto audio tracks as I record. I have been on the phone with tech support, reset the unit, tested the cables, etc. Short of sending the unit in and buying the replacement (which I cannot currently afford), I was hoping someone here had the same problem and managed to fix it. I appreciate any help offered. Thank you.
Current Set Up: Motu 828mkII Firewire, MPC 2000XL, Korg MS2000B, Cubase 4, Logic 9, M-Audio BX5s, Stanton T-80, BLUE Microphone- Baby Bottle, MacBook Pro, and assorted VSTs
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828 MKII Static and Cracking Noises

Post by mikehalloran »

You have nothing to lose: Open the unit, remove and reseat any connectors you find - this restores a clean electrical path. Sounds like a bad shield allowing cross-track audio bleed. A bad cable can also cause this.

It could be a problem in your setup where you actually have feedback writing itself to tracks - usually occurs when headphones are up too loud or someone is using open-backed phones for monitoring.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gribit

Post by gribit »

10AK... I've got the same problem on Input 2... nothing connected, volume all the way down... the meter (of cha 2) act as if a signal is going inside the 828 (but it's just the Static and Crakcing noise... that I can record if 5 I start Logic to rec with Input 2. And if I do a stereo recording the noise will be just in the R channel!)... :(

Shall we "remove and reseat any connectors we find"?

Mikehalloran... I hope this could be easy to do! ...any other advice?

Thanks. (forgive my english)
Frenghiz

Post by Frenghiz »

Same problem here. Mic channel two gives me a random crackle.. even with nothing attached and volume all the way down.

I have no idea how to reset this machine.. or any parts of it
wvmusic

Post by wvmusic »

My 828mkII is having random bursts of what sounds like white noise with nothing connected to the unit but the power cord and headphones. The SPDIF IN L meter jumps as well as the MAIN OUT L&R. I did a Factory Reset and the problem persists. I guess I'll try opening it up and reseating any connections. Has anyone else had any success with this procedure? Thanks!
MacBook Pro (Retina 13 inch. Late 2013)
2.4GHz Intel Core i5
8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OSX 10.12.6
DP 9.52
kgechols

Post by kgechols »

I have this same exact problem. Did anybody ever find a real cause and solution.

Thanks,
- Kyle
vspiegel

Post by vspiegel »

Having the same problem with 828MKII on channel one of Main Outs. Is anyone going to open 'er up and have a look see? If that works, I'll try it.
Mac OS 11.4; iMac 2017; 64 GB Ram: EastWest, Kontakt, Spitfire, Cinesamples, LASS, Sine, 8SSDs, 2 Thunderbolt Docks, MOTU 896mk3, HP second screen.
frankcesco

Post by frankcesco »

Same problem, strange signals from mic 2.. I haven't tried yet to open the audio card
KarlSutton

Post by KarlSutton »

I've got similar issues - for $100 MOTU will send you a reconditioned one in exchange for your current one with a 30 day warranty I think.
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
vspiegel

Post by vspiegel »

KarlSutton wrote:I've got similar issues - for $100 MOTU will send you a reconditioned one in exchange for your current one with a 30 day warranty I think.
Do you know who I would speak to regarding this in Australia?

victor
Mac OS 11.4; iMac 2017; 64 GB Ram: EastWest, Kontakt, Spitfire, Cinesamples, LASS, Sine, 8SSDs, 2 Thunderbolt Docks, MOTU 896mk3, HP second screen.
KarlSutton

Post by KarlSutton »

I don't know Victor, my guess would be the MOTU folks here in the states - they're located in Boston, MA.
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
bob4u
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by bob4u »

It's well known that MOTU 828 MKII have defective MIC/GUITAR inputs causing very annoying and unpredictable noises,
even with sensitivity TRIM set to minimum.
To proof it just *disable* completely MIC/GUITAR inputs and see if noises disappear.
The cause is in two potentiometers with defective terminals (not the usual wiper problem of pots).
They are IMPOSSIBLE to find in the market.
In this tutorial I will explain how to build compatible potentiometer, even on the mechanical point of view, and fit the problem spending only about 10 $ !!

https://youtu.be/LAkbV3UdqAg

Please be aware that all these modifications will obviously VOID THE MANUFACTURER's WARRANTY ! :)

Enjoy!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bob4u wrote:It's well known that MOTU 828 MKII have defective MIC/GUITAR inputs causing very annoying and unpredictable noises,
even with sensitivity TRIM set to minimum.
To proof it just *disable* completely MIC/GUITAR inputs and see if noises disappear.
The cause is in two potentiometers with defective terminals (not the usual wiper problem of pots).
They are IMPOSSIBLE to find in the market.
In this tutorial I will explain how to build compatible potentiometer, even on the mechanical point of view, and fit the problem spending only about 10 $ !!

https://youtu.be/LAkbV3UdqAg

Please be aware that all these modifications will obviously VOID THE MANUFACTURER's WARRANTY ! :)

Enjoy!
"VOID...". :rofl:

Nice tutorial. Is that yours or did you find it?

Frankly, my days of doing those kind of hardware hacks are behind me and, knock on wood, mine doesn't crackle. It's nice to know that, if/when mine does, that the recycling bin is not the only path for it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro