dead MIDI in on Traveler?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
madriema
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

dead MIDI in on Traveler?

Post by madriema »

Hello everybody,
this is Emanuele writing from Italy.
I hope this does not sound like a silly question, but I am experiencing a problem which sounds very odd, my only guess is that my buil-in MIDI in is not working.
I'd like to specify I have never used it before, and that is why I felt somehow to post this question on this greatly helpful forum...
I've got this keyboard master controller I just use to play some virtual synths and instruments. I am simply trying to connect it to the traveler MIDI in socket, just like I have always done on my crappy 20 euro MIDI box.
The thing is that the traveler does not show any incoming signal AT ALL!
I was just wondering if you happen to know if there is any software control over these 2 MIDI interfaces...quite strange to me, but still worth to ask.
MIDI out does work properly and yes I have double checked with the MIDI box if the master controller is still sending a MIDI out signal...
I can't believe this. It's never happened to me to lose PART of a MIDI interface... has it to you??!?
Any suggestions at all or it is that simple? if no MIDI in is showing on the front of the Traveler NOR on any software, it's simply not working?
:-(
crazy me thinking I could have simply used it for everything!
Damn!
THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE.
Greetings from Italy.
madriema

Post by madriema »

nobody has any thought about this?
I guess it's really gone...?
jarok
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by jarok »

Hi
Instal up to date MOTU Audio Setup if you already didn't.
Restart computer.

Configure your Audio MIDI Setup for your MIDI keyboard if you already didn't:

1. Double click Audio MIDI Setup to get it Open. ( In the Utilities folder )
2. Click MIDI Devices
3. Add Device
4. Double click new Device
5. Select proper manufacturer and version of your MIDI keyboard. ( New Device ) You can also write device name there.
6. Click Apply
7. Connect the New Devise and Traveler Icon together by dragging from connection arrows.

Here is more info:
http://www.sonosphere.com/MusicSoftware ... MIDISetup/

Hope this helps.

jarok
tele333

Post by tele333 »

If you're sure all else is working (MIDI out from controller, software, etc.) it sounds like the traveler is broken. I have no experience with a traveler, but here's my $00.02

As Jarok said...make sure the traveler shows up in the AMS...if it does then do this test...

open a track with recorded MIDI, connect the MIDI out to MIDI in on the traveler...try recording the MIDI to a different track...if this works, then MIDI in is working, regardless of software, controller, etc.

Also...if you've registered the traveler, try setting up a tech link at MOTU web site...at least you can get ideas from MOTU...but it'll take days/weeks.
madriema

Post by madriema »

thanks a lot you guys.
Unfortunately I have indeed tried all this basic configuration processes...
as I said I am 100% sure I am sending a MIDI signal to the traveler MIDI IN, plus MIDI OUT of Traveler works out just fine...
the card can totally be seen by computer in order to test MIDI out and I have been joyfully using it in the past months for audio recording, I am very familiar with the MIDI configuration software built-in in os x...BUT I had not tried the MIDI IN socket yet.
What a ssssshame!
I guess you probably know this better than I do: there is no way on earth this problem is worth being fixed right? I mean there is no way it can get back to work for a (very) reasonable amount of money?
AND my unit is not registered! AARGH!

what a sad realization...
I guess anyway that NOBODY of you had this kind of problem and GOT the damn thing fixed...?
smcelyea
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: dead MIDI in on Traveler?

Post by smcelyea »

Well, I totally had the same problem. I found the MIDI through and I/O worked fine IF I ran it with DP. Otherwise it did exactly as yours. NOBODY Apple tech support, MOTU, or Sweetwater could help. Needless to say, as a stand alone unit, I was screwed. In DP everything worked fine. So I just went back to my fastlane and ran through a mixer. :) or :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk